Would this work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Perry

For night riding how about wearing a highly refective jersey/HiVi vest and positioning an extra front light so it shines on the jersey/HiVi.

There would be a larger illuminated area for others to see.

Waht do you think?

PBancroft

Possibly... but I would wonder what would be gained compared with reflection from a car's headlamp? You would have to using a fairly substantial light that is pointed towards you to create a decent reflection, so you're looking at extra weight and cost for something you'll get from car headlamps for free. Also, you run the risk of dazzling yourself if you've got it positioned badly or if it moves during the journey (or you do).

Personally, I'd suggest getting the extra light, and pointing it forwards but in a different position to any existing lights you have.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I have one of those Lidl/Aldi headlamp lights with either flashing or solid LEDs. Although I angle it so it's pointing ahead it seems to spill light downwards onto my fluorey jacket and lights up the reflecting piping very nicely. I tend to think it's a help to visibility but hadn't considered the above point, that the car headlamps will do more of the job. The other thing it does is picks out the reflective band on the inside of my Schwalbe tyres which is rather pretty to watch as you're going along.

PBancroft

Auntie Helen said:
I tend to think it's a help to visibility but hadn't considered the above point, that the car headlamps will do more of the job. The other thing it does is picks out the reflective band on the inside of my Schwalbe tyres which is rather pretty to watch as you're going along.

To be fair, it would probably make you visible earlier.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No need, the reflective material reflects light right back at the driver, so trying to light them up yourself won't work.

Get a few cheap backup flashy LED's to supplement proper lighting...... and attach them to rucksacks, rear of helmet and stuff.....

You might look like Blackpool lights, but you'll be seen......

Every material is reflective; what you're talking about is retro reflective. It reflects light back at wherever the light came from. Trying to light it up yourself won't work.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
WHat's the point? Once you have decent lights, and ride with good road positioning, you're more than visible. All that's left is motons either not looking, or not giving a toss about you, which means more effort needed on road craft to avoid the idiots.

Keith Oates

Janner
Seems a bit of a pointless exercise to me as well Perry, the flashing LED comment would be more useful IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oddjob62

Humans have bad enough night vision as it is. The light shining towards you would screw it up even further.

upandover

Guru
I've tried this, with one of the decathlon micro-lights mounted on the handlebars.

I thought, given that I am the largest item on my bike, and I'm generally wearing neon yellow, it's a smae not to make use of that at night.

It seemed to work well as a concept, and I'm sure it increased my viability from the front and to a certain angle on both sides. It was quite hard though to not get the light in my eyes when I looked down, and as I was trying it with the light from my helmet, I didn't get much further.

I'll be interested to seehow you feel it works if you try it?

Cheers
Steve

Top Bottom