Would you or wouldn't you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Evogirl

Having introduced myself already and mentioned that I'm riding Paris to London next year I am now wondering who uses a camelback to ensure enough fluid is taken on board, I'm not a great drinker but feel with one if these I may be inclined to take more fluids....advice please.

andym

Über Member
It's really a personal thing. I prefer them but other people dom't. Some bikes have fittings for two bottle cages which is quite a lot if you get big water bottles. If you have only one bottle cage then additional water is definitely a good idea.

Im doing L2P on the 2nd - plenty of fluid intake opportunities so just taking 2x 900ml bottles as I know my hydration bag would give me sweaty back plus mena i'd take too much stuff :bicycle:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have a Camelbak and take it when I am on my MTB and its seriously muddy but when I am road riding I use bottles as the Camelbak makes my back really sweaty and itchy.
Personally speaking, if I was riding Paris to London, I would have water bottles and not a Camelbak but each to their own. Good luck with the ride.

Llan Giant

Regular
I am doing the London to paris starting today. I have the same thoughts but have gone for the bottles idea. I am only taking one bottle as the distance between opportunities for filling is a max of 24miles. Will let you know how I get on.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Camelbak = Sweatyback - get use to it
I use one all the time Road and MTB sweaty back you hardly notice it
In the summer you can put one of those freezer pack blocks in to keep your drink cool
I use the Blow Fish Camalbak :thumbsup:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I used a Camelbak for seven years without a problem. The sweaty back is not really a problem and I just wonder how many folk who identify the sweaty back problem have actually used a Camelback. I used a Camelbak Mule with a three litre bladder. That would usually get me round a 100km Audax though on one particularly hot ride I got through six litres - do perspire a lot in temperatures above 25C, I must have been a slug in a previous life.. Imagine how many fill stops that could be with single bottle set up or even double bottle set up.

Llan Giant

Regular
I would not bother with a camelbak. I did the London to Paris this year and took two drink bottles. There are plenty of places to fill up on route and it is better not to carry the weight. Hope this helps.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
No need, you can carry enough water in bottles.

I bought one in america because i needed to carry more water than i could hold in five bottles in the heat, but it was uncomfortable, heavey and it leaked and it rubbed ...it took me one day to throw the dam thing into the shoulder ditch.

MarkF

Guru
I would not bother with a camelbak. I did the London to Paris this year and took two drink bottles. There are plenty of places to fill up on route and it is better not to carry the weight. Hope this helps.

I agree, I rode across Spain with just 2 x normal 660ml bottles, 16 days at between 30c and 42c, no problems.

Bodhbh

Guru
I don't mind stopping for waterf fills and it's a good excuse to stop for a pint while you're at it so don't bother. It's a while since I did a long ride on a hot day, from memory I'd get thru 7-10, 750ml bottles tho over a 100miles - I can see that might be too much faffing for some and they'd rather take a camelback.

Bodhbh

Guru
I'd be thinking seriously about electrolyte levels if I was drinking 7.5 litres of water during a ride

I've not had a problem yet..as far as I know anyhow. No cramps or anything like that. I'll have a sit down meal at some point during a long ride and be on cakes etc. And there's always pork scratchings...

Top Bottom