Would you recommend cycling to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At that price, you can get onto a Carrera Subway, a bike that a few CCers have and generally well regarded. Much more suitable for a road commute, especially as it has no front suspension.

DING! Hello :hello: Chose it over the Crossfire precisely because I felt suspension was not needed.

I love my Subway, its done me proud for the admitedly v.short 3.5 mile commute so I make up for that with regular rides, I take it both on road and off and find it handles most things well.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_551221_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Daniel T

Go for it!

I have been cycling to work now (entry level raleigh road bike) for 3 weeks and Immmmmm lovin it!

My round trip averages 43-44 miles on mostly rural roads. I do arrive sweaty, but it only takes me 90 mins to do the 21 miles and I have a shower when I get there. (you can't beat that 'i'm the only person in the office right now on endorphins!" feeling lol)

If you don't have showers, find a cheap gym near work and pay the smallest monthly package and just use the showers (could be as little as £7-8 a week?)

If you're leaving 06:30, even with traffic you can definately average 12mph (inc. stops for lights/junct. etc) and arrive before 08:30am.

All the best!

D :thumbsup:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
sorry I missed the part time thing, but yeah everyone has given good advice, no suspension, consider secondhand and get the weight on the bike not your back :biggrin:

oops... I have front shocks, wear a heavy rucksac (although I do admit to the feeling of freedom when I dont) and my commute is a 40 mile round trip (twice a week at the moment buyt pushing back up to three times a week)...so each to their own!

PS, I do it on a 15 year old BSO, so dont get too bogged down in kit, just give it a crack and see how you get on.

david1701

oops... I have front shocks, wear a heavy rucksac (although I do admit to the feeling of freedom when I dont) and my commute is a 40 mile round trip (twice a week at the moment buyt pushing back up to three times a week)...so each to their own!

PS, I do it on a 15 year old BSO, so dont get too bogged down in kit, just give it a crack and see how you get on.

I'm trying to make it easy, you are doing it hardcore :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom