Would you trust Gumtree?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joanna

I often see pretty good quality bikes on gumtree, but I'm a bit wary of buying from it. Would you trust the sellers? Do you think any items would be stolen goods? Or am I just being paranoid?!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I often see pretty good quality bikes on gumtree, but I'm a bit wary of buying from it. Would you trust the sellers? Do you think any items would be stolen goods? Or am I just being paranoid?!
A lot of stolen bikes turn up on Gumtree so no, you are not being paranoid!

If I was buying a used bike from someone I didn't know, I'd ask for proof of purchase. If the vendor was evasive about where the bike came from, I'd call the local police and see if it had been reported stolen.

mightyquin

Well, Gumtree is nothing more than a classified ad medium, an internet version of the local paper or Loot. Use the same common sense that you'd use replying to a printed classified ad.

I think it's fairly easy to judge is something is genuine or not. I enquired about a bike I saw on Gumtree, seemed a bargain. When I phoned up about it, the seller said he was away, and the bike was no longer at his home but at a mates place. Could have been genuine, but it put me off and I left it.

If someones selling stolen goods they won't want you to know where they live. Pretty handy if you don't know what they look like either and just have a name and mobile number to go on!

So, I wouldn't avoid Gumtree ads, just be cautious.

Top Bottom