Would you use C2W?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I need to replace my Marin, the frame dangerous to ride on. I could replace the frame, which would be a custom frame to meet my requirements, or I could go & get something like a ridgeback flight 05 on the C2W scheme. What would you do?

Oh the Marin has on it right now a spec very similar to the Flight 05.

Downward

Guru
Worth doing the scheme as you save 30% and erm yeah 30% !

I have used it with no regrets and saved around £350. Its great if you dont have the cash to stump up for a new bike. Manageable weekly payments etc.

But if you have cash and can shop around you can proably save just as much.

It may be possible to just buy a frame. I know some of my colleagues just bought wheels etc.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
See this is the thing, when i spec a bike I like which is comparable to the Marin is now the total costs on C2W & a custom frame are in the same range.

bad boy

Über Member
do it if you can get the bike you want, but I agree with addictfreak if you have the cash you can probably shop around better and get a good deal which might amount to same sort of discount.

Ive done the scheme and yeah its good but can be limiting on shops and bikes depending on where you live etc.

Broadside

Guru
Agree with that. I went with the scheme and am very happy with my bike and the fact C2W spreads the payments to make it manageable, however you will end up paying the RRP less the discount through the tax saving. Lots of shops discount a long way below RRP but this will not be available to you if you go through the scheme.

A bit of swings and roundabouts but personally losing £30/month from my pay packet over a 12 month period was a very palatable way of getting £650 worth of bike straight away.

Can you not get the frame on C2W. The bike shop would just need to say Marin bike frame size x. That should cover it. With the money you save you could get a few components upgraded at the same time! :laugh:

You just need a friendly LBS.

bad boy

Über Member
magnatom said:
Can you not get the frame on C2W. The bike shop would just need to say Marin bike frame size x. That should cover it. With the money you save you could get a few components upgraded at the same time! :tongue:

You just need a friendly LBS.

You could do this although its not the perceived use of the scheme.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
You're lucky to have access to such a good scheme - in fact so good I can't believe they haven't stopped it.

My lot won't do it - tight fisted tossers!

Downward

Guru
Depends on the LBS - The Voucher will state you want X bike. the LBS may at their discresion choose to supply you with something different for the value of that voucher.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
magnatom, yeah but the bike shop can't actually supply the frame I want to rebuild the marin as what I want doesn't actually exist :blush:

Downward said:
Depends on the LBS - The Voucher will state you want X bike. the LBS may at their discresion choose to supply you with something different for the value of that voucher.
Surly if you 'order' a bike then you can simply walk away if the said bike isn't provided?

shippers

threebikesmcginty said:
You're lucky to have access to such a good scheme - in fact so good I can't believe they haven't stopped it.

My lot won't do it - tight fisted tossers!

Tell your boss that they MAKE money out of it.

Your company buys the bike and pays for it monthly out of your salary. However, they can reclaim the VAT they pay on the bike and keep it.

As a wider plan, if you go and haggle for a decent price on a bike, get your discount then drop the news you're CTW-ing it you may do very well indeed.

Top Bottom