Wow - 56,108 and 66 miles - 3 days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slaav

Veteran
One hell of an adventure - especially for a newbie....

Cork to Dublin over 3 days for Charity.

12 weeks ago, I got on a bike for the first time since school. Seriously delighted and cant believe that we all managed it.

Wow.

:laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Congrats.
bravo.gif

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Wow! With an average 28,054 miles for the first two days, I'm surprised you even counted the 66 ;)

No, seriously, that's brilliant. Truly inspiring. Well done.

OP
OP
S

Slaav

Veteran
Was going to try and do some sort of Blog for the ride but was just too shattered.

I have learned a lot in so many areas that I will endeavour to correlate my thoughts into some semblance of interesting prose and info/tips.

From Bib shorts (as per another thread) to nutrition and fluid intake. I have also previously looked for help on hills - and did 11,500 total elevation so can report back on this soon.

That is if anyone is interested at all....

May help some other newbies and comments from the Vets may be useful to see how wrong I am? :tongue:

OP
OP
S

Slaav

Veteran
Sounds like a hard 3 days... sore much?

Mmmmm....... A little!

Will post up properly when my finger heals (long story) but ASSOS cream for the ride and plenty of Sudocrem for post ride saved me to the point where I could happily have sat on a bike again on the Sunday.

I brought 3 pairs of shorts with me and worked out which to wear on each day so there was never any 'duplication' of soreness.

Day 1, Altura ProGel shorts - 56 miles
Day 2, Shutt VR Coolmax Bibs with Gel - 108 miles and
Day 3, Castelli Bib shorts with KISS3 pad - 66 miles.

On a training ride, I had slight discomfort after 45 miles or so - not a problem, but slight - and decided to leave these until the last day.

It is unclear which saved me, the swapping of shorts, the shorts themselves with good pads, the ASSOS cream or the Sudocrem that I applied for post ride.

Whatever it was, it worked!!! A Treat....

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Fantastic work. Well done :smile: What charity was it?
One hell of an adventure - especially for a newbie....

Cork to Dublin over 3 days for Charity.

12 weeks ago, I got on a bike for the first time since school. Seriously delighted and cant believe that we all managed it.

Wow.

:laugh:

OP
OP
S

Slaav

Veteran
Fantastic work. Well done :smile: What charity was it?

The ride was organised by Laureus. The main beneficiaries were the Laureus Sport for Good camapaign (Urban Stars Programme) and the St. James's Place FOundation which all major on Kids and disadvantaged children in the UK.

It was great to ride with Michael Vaughan for a lot of the ride as he is/was genuinely able to describe the work and great difference that these Charities can make to younger kids. He is an Ambassador for Laureus so first hand knowledge of the great work etc.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/PaulVahey

Our own Company matches anythign we raise on these type of events so hoping to crack £10K all in! :laugh:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I take my hat helmet off to you Sir :smile:
The ride was organised by Laureus. The main beneficiaries were the Laureus Sport for Good camapaign (Urban Stars Programme) and the St. James's Place FOundation which all major on Kids and disadvantaged children in the UK.

It was great to ride with Michael Vaughan for a lot of the ride as he is/was genuinely able to describe the work and great difference that these Charities can make to younger kids. He is an Ambassador for Laureus so first hand knowledge of the great work etc.

http://uk.virginmone...g.com/PaulVahey

Our own Company matches anythign we raise on these type of events so hoping to crack £10K all in! :laugh:

Top Bottom