WOW!!! This is good.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

So a guy gets the school to send out an e mail last week suggesting a family bike ride around Otley yesterday. 3pm meet in the market square.

Now heres the thing, i am guessing about 80 people turned out, lots of young (6-9) children. It was an awesome response given 3 days notice. We had a bimble around otley and after 45 minutes ended up at Riverside Park. Mixture of quiet and busyish roads. Unfailingly polite car drivers, and wonderous looks from pedestrians. It was a kind of family CM if you like, and best of all it showed our kids that there is a place on the road for them with their bikes, it was truly heartwarming.

I can absolutely guarentee that the next one will have well over 120. This man has really tapped into something perhaps in a similar vein to dell and his FNRttC. So there you go, plan a route, send an e mail and you could make something magical happen!

andy

Must have been lovely to see the children, Andy - did you get any snaps of the event in general?

Edit to correct a spelling mistake etc...

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
That's great news
smile.gif

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it does sound fantastic. It's so wonderful that people just thought 'bugger it, I'll give it a go'.

Deb13b

Wow I bet it was great to see that. Got me thinking now....

jugglingphil

Sounds perfect.
I'm also impressed that the school were willing to email the invite out without feeling they needed to be involved in the "safety" of the pupils.
It does go to show that there are lots of families out there who want to do more cycling.

So a guy gets the school to send out an e mail last week suggesting a family bike ride around Otley yesterday. 3pm meet in the market square.

Now heres the thing, i am guessing about 80 people turned out, lots of young (6-9) children. It was an awesome response given 3 days notice. We had a bimble around otley and after 45 minutes ended up at Riverside Park. Mixture of quiet and busyish roads. Unfailingly polite car drivers, and wonderous looks from pedestrians. It was a kind of family CM if you like, and best of all it showed our kids that there is a place on the road for them with their bikes, it was truly heartwarming.

I can absolutely guarentee that the next one will have well over 120. This man has really tapped into something perhaps in a similar vein to dell and his FNRttC. So there you go, plan a route, send an e mail and you could make something magical happen!

andy

you mean without health and safety, method statements and risk assessements and closed off roads, whatever next, people thinking for themselves :whistle:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Good on you Andy.

I regularly cycle the back roads of Otley on a weekend and am pleasantly surprised by the numebr of cyclists out and about.

Otley has a big cycling culture compared to the rest of Leeds & Bradford.

Top Bottom