wrist Braces

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Does anyone know or can recommend a good wrist support brace that can be used for cycling possible with inserts like you get on skating wrist pads

I have developed handlebar palsy in both wrists after an accident (knocked off and used hands to brake fall) Unfortunately this happened while i was no a cycle tour to Rome and i continued even though I knew there was something wrong with my hands I thought it was just the bruising. I did what i could adjusted the bike so I was sitting upright and wearing Velcro compression wrist supports which helped some.

Though I can use my hands and they are getting better but after over a month the outer sides are still feel numb(like when you hit your funny bone) and i have lost strength, coordination and grip in both.

Doctor says only time will tell if i get back full function (very helpfull) so i need to get something i can use while cycling to ensure I dont do any more damage or agravate the nerve any more.

Sparkyman

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
I think you can buy supports from any chemist - but you might need something custom made esp. if you risk making your condition worse or prolonging the recovery period

I can't think of anything to help support your wrists, but have you considered completely changing how you ride to take your weight off your wrists? Like go Dutch and get a really upright town bike, fit aero bars and spend more time resting on your elbows (not great for around town though) or go to the dark side and get a recumbent.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
I can't think of anything to help support your wrists, but have you considered completely changing how you ride to take your weight off your wrists? Like go Dutch and get a really upright town bike, fit aero bars and spend more time resting on your elbows (not great for around town though) or go to the dark side and get a recumbent.

I have done this, I have a adjustable stem so I raised it as high and as close as possible whilst i was on my trip and have since added a stem riser to add a few inches to the bar height. Now looks like a proper dutch style ride :smile:

I have bought some GMX WRIST PROTECTORS to see how they feel the plastic cups should keep my unlar nerve from getting aggravated ( i hope) again while riding (only to and from work for now) but I wold like to return to my usual weekend 50-100 milers soon.

has anyone tried these http://tiny.cc/qtnka ?

Top Bottom