Writing foreign letters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You say archaic, but that's how I'm going to spell them from now on. I wonder what the archaic pronunciation of aëroplane and aërial was.
The French use of the tréma in those words gives a short /a/ as in apathy, followed by a sort of /yehr/ . Hope this helps your conversational skills.....

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The French use of the tréma in those words gives a short /a/ as in apathy, followed by a sort of /yehr/ . Hope this helps your conversational skills.....
I have just been watching a clip of Amy Johnson speaking in 1930. She pronounces aëroplane (3:09) pretty much the same we do.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Blimey - you live and learn:-

"The diaeresis[a] (/daɪˈɛriːsɪs/ dy-ERR-ee-sis; also known as the trémahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaeresis_(diacritic)#cite_note-2) and the umlaut are two different homoglyphic diacritical marks. They both consist of two dots ( ¨ ) placed over a letter, usually a vowel. When that letter is an i or a j, the diacritic replaces the tittle: ï.[1]
The diaeresis and the umlaut are diacritics marking two distinct phonological phenomena. The diaeresis represents the phenomenon also known as diaeresis or hiatus in which a vowel letter is pronounced separately from an adjacent vowel and not as part of a digraph or diphthong. The umlaut (/ˈʊmlaʊt/), in contrast, indicates a sound shift. "
I was just about to say that!!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
On an Android phone, a long press on a letter, or number, will open the option of all sorts of ğ ð ű ů ü uû ę ⅛ ¼ ± ¥ strange thingies...
Not sure if this works on Fruit based, or @Drago types of prehistoric phones, though.

Blimey - you live and learn:-

"The diaeresis[a] (/daɪˈɛriːsɪs/ dy-ERR-ee-sis; also known as the trémahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaeresis_(diacritic)#cite_note-2) and the umlaut are two different homoglyphic diacritical marks. They both consist of two dots ( ¨ ) placed over a letter, usually a vowel. When that letter is an i or a j, the diacritic replaces the tittle: ï.[1]
The diaeresis and the umlaut are diacritics marking two distinct phonological phenomena. The diaeresis represents the phenomenon also known as diaeresis or hiatus in which a vowel letter is pronounced separately from an adjacent vowel and not as part of a digraph or diphthong. The umlaut (/ˈʊmlaʊt/), in contrast, indicates a sound shift. "
So which are they in aëroplane and aërial . And why? :P

(I pronounce both words as 3 syllables/sounds. I think ... )

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have started getting foreign adverts on my computer. I got something in Dutch on YouTube, and I have just seen an ad that said "video ohne werbung" on another forum. Could the interweb have detected my ë and ö keystrokes? Maybe if I start using the a with the little circle above it and the o with the diagonal line through it, I will start getting Scandinavian ads.

I was reading a bit of H P Lovecraft today

What a great writer!!

Such conjuring up of imagery, is such classics as 'At The Mountains Of Madness'
He was supposed to have had an abject dislike of the cold/ice/snow, & it really shows

Top Bottom