Wrong bottom bracket axle length? Or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

It's not an area of the bike I've much experience fettling and I've come across an issue.

I'm converting a geared road bike to fixed, it was a normal compact double with an external cup bearing bottom bracket. Standard English threaded.

I've bought a square taper ISO bottom bracket (as recommended with the chain set), 111mm, and fitted it ok. However fitting the cranks today, the drive side went on ok (though the chainring is close to the chain stays) but when I fitted the non-drive crank it's touching the chain stays before it's even tightened up.

Have I just got too short an axle? Have I fitted something incorrectly? I see there are bottom brackets for triples up to 115.5mm which should give me a couple of mm more either side. However on a standard set-up previously I wasn't expecting to have to get some that long/different.

Or is there something I can do with spacers? Or have I just missed something?

This bottom bracket compatibility and chain line stuff is seemingly a bit of a black art :wacko:

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
This bottom bracket compatibility and chain line stuff is seemingly a bit of a black art :wacko:

It can be :whistle:. As a matter of interest what is the chainset make and model code, what chainline are your shooting for, and what chainline are you getting? I am not saying it is your problem, but using a JIS chainset with an ISO tapered BB will give you around 4.5mm less frame clearance... Oh incidentally what frame is it (e.g. is it a mtb/hybrid frame for 135mm rear wheels, is the seat tube oversized)?

It is definitely not ideal, but a temporary quick and dirty solution is to wrap one or two layers of kitchen tin foil carefully on the left square taper as shim to give you a little clearance.

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

It's a Campag Record Pista :becool: chainset and bottom bracket.

I haven't measured anything to aim for a chain line really, I've got some flexibility at the back so I was just going to fit this part first.

It's definitely all compatible ISO stuff.

Road frame with standard 130mm rear spacing, no oversize seat tube.

Cheers.

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

Both current.

I have a feeling it's asymmetric, which sounds wrong immediately as I type it. :thumbsdown:

Do you reckon that's it then? I need to get a symmetric one? Makes sense.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Strange. According to the horse's mouth the current (and indeed recent year) Record track chainset does need a 111mm asymmetric bb. However there are quite a few ads around like this that says it is symmetric. If I were you I would examine carefully the spec of the parts and the chainline, get some clarity before ordering (especially ordering non-OEM parts).

Top Bottom