Wrote my bike off ,what to do now ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hit a deer !! on my commute to work a cople of weeks ago ,as luck would have it I managed to stay on the bike (I was traveling downa 20% hill on the drops).
After a quick check to see if I had buckled the wheel or fork I set of on my way to work , only to find when I got there that the down tube had taken the strain and was dented beyond repair,
My question is what to do now ?
I mainly use the bike for my commute to work (25 - 30 mile round trip) mostly on road but cut into some gravel farm tracks and fields.
The road section has some steep (20-25 % ) climbs and can be very chalenging.
My LBS has given me a couple optptions , try Giant (it is a Giant TCX 2) and get a price for a write off replacement frame or use all the parts on a Kinesis 5 frame (£269) they will put it all togther for £80.
Any alternative thoughts out there or any thoughts on which would be the best option from the LBS?
PS please do not say build oner myself . changing a tyre and a bit of lubing is my max for bike mechanics.
regards
Mark​

alicat

Legendary Member
Your old bike coped until you hit a deer, which was bad luck.

If your old bike was fit for purpose, you have the cash and you think your mechanical knowledge will improve, I would get a new one as similar as possible to the old one and use the old one as spare parts...

OP
OP
M

Mark Walker

Veteran
Thanks for the replies chaps
I am not sure if should re build with a giant frame or change to a kinesis .
I have always felt in the back of my mind that the bike was a tad to small and a few comments on this forum or another one i am not sure have suggested that the bike i wrote of was to small for me.
I do not know what to do to be honest the original bike gave me severe back pain . since i have wrote it of and started using my giant roam bike the pain has more or less subsided. the problem is every one in the know seems to think that the geometry of my Roam cannot be replicated on a race type bike.
So now i am thinking is it worth the money to replace the frame (I am also considering a Giant Defy 1 on the C2W scheme) only to in effect "Pay for pain"!!
any how thanks for listening
regards
Mark

02GF74

Über Member
mark you were lucky thats for sure

no, he was very unlucky.
unlucky = hitting a dear and trashing a bike
lucky = missing a dear and all is hunkory adory.

PS hwne it happpeed, did you slap your head Homer Simpson stlye and say "Doe!".

Top Bottom