WSD vs a guys frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My better half is the same size as you and rides a 52cm top tube normal road bike, same size for her fixed and time trial bike and this is the correct size for her. Always aim slightly smaller than bigger but the top tube measurement is the crucial one. If you would like to pm me I can send you pics of her in full racing set up, the saddle is a lot higher than the bars but don't be fooled into thinking this is not comfortable. One thing I can be fairly certain about is that you are unlikely to need a women's specific bike, I've fitted several women / girls up for new bikes and only 2 went for the women's, one because she was only 5' and the other because it was on a special deal.
If you can take someone with you who knows what they are about when you go to buy, not all bike salesmen unfortunately are "experts", the girl who was 5' tall was sold a size large Giant road bike before I sorted it out. Good luck.

pepecat

I'm 5'7" and ride a 50cm trek WSD. My body is kinda short compared to my leg length, so i found the reach on men's bikes (i.e from saddle to stem) to be too far to be comfortable. I tried various women's bikes, and the trek one suited me perfectly. I only had to fiddle with seat height / saddle position slightly and i was away!

GrasB

Veteran
The bike can be "fitted" to you (i.e they will move the saddle forwards or backwards and shorten the stem on the handlebars if need be).
You can't fit every frame to every rider, you need to get the fundamentals right. Both the seat tube (both length & angle) & top tube have to be fairly 'right' to start with but once you've got those in the right area you're okay.

Fiona N

Veteran
I agree with those who have doubts about WSD bikes. I've always got the impression that the quality of the gear on WSD bikes is lower than on a similar men's bike at the same price point.

There are some things where smaller is better - brake levers, or more specifically, the reach - but I reckon the spectrum of men's bodies sizes and shapes overlaps with that of women for about half the population. A good bike fitter should be able to build up a standard frame of the correct size to fit almost anyone.

I have been lucky enough to have the dosh to get several bikes built up for me with custom frames but my current 'best' bike has an off-the-peg frame built up with standard Campag gear. The only women-specific item is the saddle. The stem is probably a bit shorter than it would be for a man of my height (5'6") and the saddle a little higher (31.5" inside leg) but it wasn't anything which couldn't be addressed while customising the fit to my proportions - probably my extreme flexibility* is as much an issue as being female with 'long legs and a short torso'. And I have to say, it's the most comfortable bike I've ever had.

* Saddle height should take into account your flexibility - particularly hamstrings but also hip and knee joints - since this determines the natural 'straight' position on the bike. If your hips and hamstrings are tight you'll need a slightly lower saddle position to avoid damage to your knees. So women, being generally more flexible, may need a slightly higher saddle position than a man with the same inside leg measurement. This obviously impacts on handlebar height and saddle fore/aft position too.

ChristinaJL

I'm 5' 6" with 31" leg and I ride WSD in all my bikes. For the road bike I have a specialized dolce elite in 52cm. When I was trying out bikes I tried the mens' specialized in exactly the same size and I was too stretched out as the top tube can be longer in the same size. Same happened when I tried out mountain bikes, the mens' model was too long, but the womens' version fit perfectly as it was 10cm shorter in the top tube. Best to try out women's and men's bikes I'd say to see which you feel most comfy on.

crdf

I bought all my bikes from a very good shop with very good staff (imo) :smile:

I see you are in Sutton. I am nearby. Could you recommend me the shop? I wanted to send you PM to ask you about local shops but either there is no such option or I am restricted as a new member.

vickster

Legendary Member
I see you are in Sutton. I am nearby. Could you recommend me the shop? I wanted to send you PM to ask you about local shops but either there is no such option or I am restricted as a new member.

I've sent you a message, there should be a red symbol, top right where it says inbox :smile:

lesley_x

Über Member
Both my bikes are men's. I have short legs for my body.

I ride a Specialized Secteur (medium) and a Giant TCX (extra small)

The annoying thing for me is you pay a premium for wsd in my experience, and the range/choice is not as good. Also I find the designs of the women's bikes a bit patronising, although it has improved a lot since I was shopping for a road bike.

Wallington cycles are very good if you want to try a giant or merida.

Top Bottom