WTB Raijin tires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

I got home tonight and noticed that on my front tire there are some splits along the edges of some of the treads, where they join the main body of the tire. Most I've pumped them is to 50psi and the tires have markings saying that's well within their range. All I've used my mtb for so far is a two mile commute each day for two months, a handful literally of half hour blasts along the canal path, and a couple of hours of singletrack in Oxfordshire.

Is this normal/safe for the tires, or do I need to go back to my shop and try to convince them I've got a faulty set?

Cheers

Stuart

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
Think I'd be tempted to go back to the shop with them what have you got to lose?!

02GF74

Über Member
as ^^^^ - sounds like they are realtively new tyres then a trip to the shop.

can't quite picture what you are saying - a photo would help - but if the rubber has split on the parts of the tryre where there is little of it (sidewalls) or where two different rubbers join e.g. black tyre tread and orange sidewalls, then that may be ok.

If the read looks damaged or tyre is bulging then that is deffo no good.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Ok. So my Raijins were great in the mud, and rolled quite well - the centre knobs were middle height, ramped and the tire is pretty light so the bike does have a joyous skip in its step especially when I start to launch into the pedals.

But after a spate on punctures on the front I've found a few too many tears in the tire and so have ditched it. Moved my rear Raijin - which seems to have escaped injury - to the front and am riding a Geax 1.9 semi slick on the back, which was the only spare I had left after my spare Kenda Nevegal split on inflation.

So - questions, ideas, help please... what to get to replace the broken Raijin? I'll look to move the remaining one back to the rear wheel and stick a knobbly sod up front, anyone recommend something that's going to get to grips with whatever winter throws at us? The Raijins RRP around the 40 quid mark and are sub 500g each, beaded with folding cable, so anything around that pricepoint, or preferably cheaper, would be nice...

Thanx everyone

Stu

Top Bottom