XT pedal bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Bought a socket tools to strip down a pedal, small ball bearings might be a problem as today it's cartridge bearings. First pic is a reference for size, 2nd is the dead bearings. The good news is the axle is good, Shimano must have had excellent heat treatment and forging years ago.

DSC_1451.JPG

_20220519_191457.JPG

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Shimano do tend to do pretty well with their loose bearings. All the pedals and hubs I've got seem pretty indestructable for very minimal maintenance.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Dura-Ace ones are very vulnerable to a little water ingress. I've bought three secondhand pairs and two of those had rusty inboard bearings, meaning a new axle assembly.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Bought a socket tools to strip down a pedal, small ball bearings might be a problem as today it's cartridge bearings. First pic is a reference for size, 2nd is the dead bearings. The good news is the axle is good, Shimano must have had excellent heat treatment and forging years ago.

View attachment 645374

View attachment 645375
I take it you don't want some new pedles then...

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Dont think I will try and buy industrial grade loose bearings here in Spain. Was hard enough trying to buy a long reach 8mm socket in Reinosa. Town has a good tool shop as it has hitech metal manufacturing.

Top Bottom