Yeovil to Weymouth - best route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone travel this route and can give some advice.

My initial thoughts are coming out of Yeovil on Newton Road, turning towards Yetminster at Stoford and then joining the main A road after the tricky windy bit that would slow other traffic down. I was hoping to travel the A road until Dorchester, then ride through Dorchester before taking the cycle route that starts just outside Dorchester close to the Tesco's and then its easy riding from there on a dedicated cycle path. I've travelled that A road a few times by car but never see cyclists on it. Just wondered what is the best route by those who may have done that journey. Feels like the Stoford to Yetminster bit adds a bit of distance but can't see a better option if I want to avoid the thin section of the A road that has HGV's etc and not much room to pass and quite a few bends.

Here is my proposed route here;

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1676020

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The map on plotaroute is tiny and does not zoom for me. I see no turn by turn.

NCN26 looks pretty reasonable. 2 miles of gravel, 30 of tarmac. That is probably why few cyclists use the A road.

OP
OP
B
This is in "Commuting"... are you honestly proposing to commute by bike from Yeovil to Weymouth? That's brave! I think I'd take the train for a commute of that distance.

Just for the occasional leisure rides but I wasn't sure which section to put the request in and I know some cyclists who commute up to 30 miles each way in the summer months.

OP
OP
B
NCN 26 is your best bet. I did it about a month ago. There is a couple miles of gravel, the rest is quiet roads or shared paths. The shared paths have few pedestrians. I wouldn't want to use the A road.

I was trying to minimise distance and keep to fast road surfaces but I think you are right as I see so few bicycles on the main road. How long did it take you for the journey and what sort of bike do you ride?

vickster

Legendary Member
I was trying to minimise distance and keep to fast road surfaces but I think you are right as I see so few bicycles on the main road. How long did it take you for the journey and what sort of bike do you ride?
Doesn't sound like a leisure ride if dicing with fast moving traffic :smile:
Most cycle routes should be passable on a road bike, if shared path, you'll want to proceed with caution regardless. Or get off and walk if a bit too gravelly :smile:

rivers

How far can I go?
Most of the surface is tarmac- only 2-3 or so miles of gravel. I was bikepacking, and on my gravel bike so I was taking my time (stopping to eat, take photos, etc)- averaged 11 miles an hour moving time (it took me about 6 hours to get to Weymouth, but I was in no rush). Had I been on my road bike or even my gravel bike unloaded (and not stopping every 10 minutes for a photo), it would have been considerably faster. The surfaces on the roads and shared paths are in decent to good condition. The gravel ranges from decent to pot hole filled, bits of grass/farm field/woodland. It's also not too much extra mileage (2-3 miles in it maybe- a lot of it runs parallel to the A37).

OP
OP
B
Most of the surface is tarmac- only 2-3 or so miles of gravel. I was bikepacking, and on my gravel bike so I was taking my time (stopping to eat, take photos, etc)- averaged 11 miles an hour moving time (it took me about 6 hours to get to Weymouth, but I was in no rush). Had I been on my road bike or even my gravel bike unloaded (and not stopping every 10 minutes for a photo), it would have been considerably faster. The surfaces on the roads and shared paths are in decent to good condition. The gravel ranges from decent to pot hole filled, bits of grass/farm field/woodland. It's also not too much extra mileage (2-3 miles in it maybe- a lot of it runs parallel to the A37).

So would take you about 3 hours in reality I guess. I'm hoping to beat 2 hours but will be doing it on an ebike so hills will be easier although downhill will be harder (regen). I have it in my mind that any bike ride that takes over 2 hours to get anywhere is too long for a day trip. Something about having to cycle back over 2 hours is more daunting than 2 hours or less.

rivers

How far can I go?
It's around about 32 miles from Yeovil to Weymouth. Definitely doable in around 2 hours if you can maintain a 16mph average. There aren't too many hills to be honest.

OP
OP
B
It's around about 32 miles from Yeovil to Weymouth. Definitely doable in around 2 hours if you can maintain a 16mph average. There aren't too many hills to be honest.

Annoyingly ebikes only assist up to about 15.5mph (well legal ones) but I see how I get on. I'm a heavy chap so can ride fast on flats and downhill but slow to a crawl on hills without assistance.

pbkclements

Personally I'd head to sherborne, via bradford abbas.

From Sherborne look at the route do Dorchester via Charlton down.

From Dorch, it's out of town via the tesco roundabout then cycle route over the top by the relief route, lovely views down to Weymouth.

That's the cycle friendly route I'd go; I'd say 2 hr 30, few extra miles but pretty relaxed route.

Hope helpful !

Top Bottom