Yes another which commuting bike thread...Sorry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ibi

Hi All

Hope your good and well
Ive recently started to commute to work on my MTB -Giant Revel 3
I am now wanting to upgrade to a proper bike

The Budget is upto £1000 and i would ideally like a road bike!
What would you recommend?
Would any upgrades need to be made to the bike?
eg. tyres,rims?

the roads are a bit bumpy and some with some huge potholes
which i do try and miss but would i need different tyres?
would they be ok in the wet?

am sorry if there are loads of questions but im fairly new to it and dont
want to waste my money or buy the wrong bike!

Many thanks to all
Ibi

Just about any bike for that budget would be a decent steed. All the big names have bikes that would suit, and others like Focus, Cube, B.Twin and Boardman usually offer even better VFM.
Wheels are always a compromise on just about any bike as it's the one place most manufacturers scrimp on to build the bikes to a budget. That said, unless your a heffalump, (like me!), then stock wheels on a £1k bike should be absolutely fine, although I can fully recommend Halo Aerorage as a bombproof 700c commuting wheel.
Tyres are often not the best either, so factor in a pair of Conti Gatorskins, Conti GP 4 seasons or similar. Other than that the worlds your oyster as they say.
Try the search function as well because there have been loads of similar threads, all of which will be full of apt information for you to browse :thumbsup:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I did a year on a Dawes Tanami town bike, then a year on a Specialized Allez 16. I now commute on a Baccetta Strada recumbent, which is ideal as the ride to work is a 23 mile round trip, but the recumbent wouldn't make sense if it was a short commute.

The Allez is a pretty perfect middle distance commuter bike, slap a Marathon Plus on the rear, and a Durano plus on the front, and it's a fast, reliable, comfortable ride. The Allez has been relegated now, due to the Strada making more sense, and the Dawes comes out when it's snow/ice weather.

If I had a shorter commute, could avoid the potholes, and had a grand to spend, then a specialized Secteur Elite www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/secteur-elite-2012-road-bike-ec030739?query=secteur%20 would be my bike of choice....or maybe you could drop on a 2011 Secteur comp for a grand? Just as fast as an Allez, but a bit more spacious, and with a nod to comfort (Zertz inserts.) IMHO, the perfect all rounder!

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy

Nebulous

Guru
A slight diversion from the topic, but my view on a suitable bike has shifted quite a bit. I bought an allez as a leisure bike and absolutely love it. Yet I just can't get my head round using it as a commuter. I've been commuting on my MTB reasonably successfully, but it has kind of reached the stage where it needs quite a bit of work.

So I've slowly and gradually come to the view that what I need is a tourer. It could be used for long rides, as a winter trainer, could cope with the odd canal path with my family, and to carry stuff to my work. This strikes me as a pretty good buy, without breaking the bank.

I must say though that I don't have a long commute, and I'd still keep the allez for quick solo blasts and club runs.

John90

Über Member
So much depends on the relative importance you attach to speed, comfort, exercise, stability, all-round-ness. Then the length and terrain of the journey. And what you are used to, or what you fancy getting used to.

So a MTB it is then.

Top Bottom