Yes, it's another newbie 'what bike' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beelzebub

..or is it?

Hi all. New site member and newbie to cycling.

I've decided to make use of work's cycle2work scheme. I also want to try and regain some fitness and thought a bike would be an enjoyable aid to this. The bad news is I'll be tied to Halfords to spend the voucher (£500).

I've had a good read through the newbie tips (and there are some excellent ones, by the way).

My question to you is this:

With the £500 voucher would you recommend getting a more expensive bike OR get an entry-level one for around £350 and use the remaining on accessories. I have none.

If you were to go for the 2nd option....what would you say were the essentials to get started (helmet aside - already budgeted for one).

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to any helpful answers.

vickster

Legendary Member
What sort of riding will you be doing? Road, path, off road? Distance? There are some other independent retailers who (used to) take Halfords voucher, depends where you live. I'd probably spend £400ish on the bike and then the rest on helmet, lights etc :smile: Other essentials - good lock, mitts, some sort of hi viz jacket (wind/waterproof) and depending on distance covered, padded shorts ;)

OP
OP
B

Beelzebub

Thanks for the reply.

Will be doing cycle routes and quiet roads only until I get used to a bike again and then gradually using it for commuting too.

I see that the Carreras get spoken of quite highly on here, previous to today I was under the impression that they were rubbish.

I've also learned that Halfords can try and source any bike for you too, so that widens the field a little.

I'm in County Durham, so if anyone knows of shops other than Halfords that will take the voucher, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the Carrera Subways are good value for money, just get it checked over by a good bike shop as Halfords aren't the best at construction / servicing (although some branches are better than others). I'd go for a hybrid without suspension as this is heavy

Are you a chap or a lady (if the latter and small, you may be better with a woman's bike)

In terms of accessories / clothing, it is usually cheaper to buy them online and I think Halfords stuff is bobbins

I don't know of any other retailers in that part of the worl.

OP
OP
B

Beelzebub

I'm a man. 5"9.
biggrin.gif

vickster

Legendary Member
I am no expert but I am riding a couple of Specializeds - I like my Sirrus but is more a fast road going hybrid than paths - quite a bone shaker over potholes :biggrin:

I had a Trek before, lovely light bike, http://www.pearsoncy...-15%22-Chi-Red/ This is groovy

I don't know whether again you may want a bit more rugged. Marin bikes always look solid and come with fatter tyres, something like the Larkspur http://www.marin.co.....php?ModNo=11LA

I think you'd be best to go to a local independent as well as Halfords and see what you like the look of and check our the size. Bike buying is quite a personal thing and views on models and manufacturers are pretty wide ranging

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/hybrid good for reviews

OP
OP
B

Beelzebub

Halfords do Kona so that may be a good option :biggrin:

Do they indeed? I can't see any Kona bikes on the website...I'll get them to order it in. Surely they deal with Evans?

Also emailed the LBS to see if I can get it straight in for a look-over.

Gotta say, I'm loving this forum already.

OP
OP
B

Beelzebub

ooh, thanks for that. I'm gonna give them a ring tomorrow (Halfords). Also gonna pop down to the local Evans just to have a look at the bike.

OP
OP
B

Beelzebub

Update on this. Halfords can no longe order in Kona bikes. Had a good long chat with the bloke in my local Halfords today as I was the only person in the shop. He was really helpful and I've decided to go for a 20" Carrera Subway 2. This leaves £200 to get a helmet, decent lock and a few other bits and bobs.

Top Bottom