Yesterdays Ride and a warning to rail users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterdays Ride. Took the 07:03 from Carlisle to Lancaster booked my journey both ways the night before so I could be sure of getting on with the bike, return fare was reasonable and cheaper than useing the car. Easy bike storage, nice seat and on time in to Lancaster. Good ride up the Canal to Carnforth but once again I noted that it would have been better to use "nobbly" tyres on canal paths. OK it rained but it was gentle and warm, so no need for waterproofs. Nice ride to Arnside and Grange over Sands, with just light traffic but a lot of walkers in Arnside milling around on the road. Good trip to G.O.S and had the prom almost to my self.
Ulverston easy to find but I missed the first path to Canal Foot. In to Ulverston Station and havoc. People all over and two harrased railway men trying to sort things out, a train had broken down and these two poor lads were trying to get people (mostly heading for Manchester airport) on to coaches(which had not arrived) .
My intention had been to get a train back to Lancaster and a connection to Carlisle, an hour and a halfs journey. I had a quick word with the calmer of the two railway men and found out that there was little prospect of a train to Lancaster.
At that moment in came the train bound for Carlisle, which was the one I did not want to catch as like our dog's it stops at every blade of grass and takes three hours. but I got on it with the bike, the seat was uncomfortably tight but it was dry and warm on the train.
I had expected to pay extra but the guard explained that because of the train disruptions I could use my return ticket on that line. In the end I was better off, as I did get home soner than expected and acctually saved a few pound's but it could have been a lot different if I had not caught that train in Ulverston to Carlisle (and there are not many direct trains to Carlisle on that line). The lesson here is By all meand use the trains but be prepared for any thing to happen. It was still a great day's ride.

When things go wrong typically railwaymen (conductors, guards etc) are a lot more understanding of you using 'any reasonable route', same for advance tickets and delays - more than once I have missed a connection and being able to get an alternative train.

Not all good, last year a guard on the platform advised me 'any carriage' was fine for my 1 stop trip on an empty train at 0700 on sunday, yet on the train the conductor was incredibly annoyed and prissy that I was sat in first class with the bike and gave me an almighty lecture.
rolleyes.gif

Glad it worked out for ya
thumbsup.png

PS How busy was the fish and chip shop in arnside, my last visit had queues for 45 mins just for takeaway!

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Many years ago. I worked on a Tug based on the North East coast. I would cycle to work on a morning and put my bike on board as we never knew where or even when we would get ashore again. One day we had a tow up to the Tyne and had all sorts of problems on the way, finaly mooring at about 9pm. I had to catch the London train with the idea of getting off at Darlington and riding the rest of the way home to Stockton on Tees. after a long and difficult day I dropped off to sleep and woke up in Peterborough. Once the staff on the station finished laughing they were extremely helpful and I was given a pass to get me home again.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Many years ago. I worked on a Tug based on the North East coast. I would cycle to work on a morning and put my bike on board as we never knew where or even when we would get ashore again. One day we had a tow up to the Tyne and had all sorts of problems on the way, finaly mooring at about 9pm. I had to catch the London train with the idea of getting off at Darlington and riding the rest of the way home to Stockton on Tees. after a long and difficult day I dropped off to sleep and woke up in Peterborough. Once the staff on the station finished laughing they were extremely helpful and I was given a pass to get me home again.

That was quite amusing

davefb

Guru

hehe , years ago when I worked in manchester city centre a lot of colleagues would take the train home to say stockport, this is often a mainline train heading for euston..

the 'record' was a colleague who had to spend the night on a bench at milton keynes train station..

this was alcohol related rather than hard work though :smile:

barongreenback

Über Member
I have fallen asleep on the wrong part of a split train from Euston more than once. Very annoying when you arrive at your station an hour later than expected and can't work out why!

Top Bottom