Yesterdays unplanned ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shrim

I had the day off yesterday and the plan (the wifes anyway) was to do a bit of shopping, which I went along with as it had the opportunity to visit a bike shop.

Anyway, the shopping trip was cut short halfway through due to unforseen circumstances and we returned home so I took the opportunity at midday to go for a bike ride.

As this opportunity presented itself I quickly changed into my gear, filled up my water bottle, had a few Jaffa cakes and off I went.

It was a nice day although very windy and one of those days where the wind seemed to be against you all the time making it enjoyable but hard. The total distance I covered was 28 miles and I must admit it felt like 40. I took regular breaks (more water and jaffa cakes) but those last ten miles really killed me.

I got home 2 hours later and really did not feel well at all, legs were aching and I felt quite lightheaded despite eating most of the contents of my fridge when I got home.

I think the reason for feeling like this was the lack of something decent and appropriate to eat prior to the ride. I had my breakfast at 9:00 and nothing else until those Jaffa Cakes.

As I am all for these impromptu moments when I can get the bike out, I was wondering what everyone else does in terms of what they eat before a ride.

I need something quick, so as not to lose time on the bike but something that will help sustain the exercise I am about to do.

Any comments/advice would be welcome as I take it from yesterdays ride that my preparation was not ideal.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
That happens to me sometimes. We intend to set off for our ride after breakfast, but so much faffing happens (occasionally, not always!) that sometimes we don't end up setting off until very late morning - almost lunchtime. This results in me feeling rough after 5 or 10 miles, and requiring Mr S to stop somewhere where I can buy a sandwich. When I'm feeling like that, flapjack/jaffa cakes/chocolate doesn't work - I need what my body obviously thinks is 'proper' food.

(Then have the flapjacks etc later! :whistle:)

Brommie77

I agree with Spinney, you need to have a good amount of carbs and energy* food inside you before setting off. Otherwise what has your body got to work from? I made the mistake once of setting out on a ride with very little inside me, and just couldn't function. Ended up having to stop for food on the way to fill up.

Wheetabix are really good for me, as they digest easy, are quick to make and eat, and give a good slow release (failing that a good Full English fry up......:biggrin: )

*I know there are lots of fancy sports foods out there, but aside from the fact that I am not that serious about riding, they are very expensive, with - for me - no noticable gain.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Before a ride I have a bowl of porridge with Honey, it only takes a few minutes in the microwave, and a banana. I always keep some cereal bars in the cupboard for such impromptu rides. If you don't have any goodies in stock, stop at a shop on the way out and stock up before you get into the ride.

flying start

Veteran
Well haven't been on my new bike yet but it will be the same when I go fell running I have a cup of tea and porage with chopped banana as it's a slow relece of energy just what you need!!

ray316

Über Member
Alot of people recommend banana's and cakes after a ride.....
Would like to know what these on the tour de france cyclist's eat before they set off on the long stage's..

Mr Crash

Sometimes I pack a bottle of coke or I buy one if I come across a shop and I have egg and toast for breakfast.

Jonathing

Über Member
Yup, porridge (with honey or jam) before a ride. What I take depends how far I'm going at what sort of pace I'm aiming for <50 miles I'll take a banana, >50 miles I'll take a banana or two and perhaps a bag of jelly babies if it's a fast one. I live opposite the co-op so keeping supplies in isn't too much of a bind.

zexel

Veteran
I've found my ideal pre-ride .... 'Crunchy Nut Clusters with Chocolate curls' and blue top milk! Kept me going for a good 40 mile ride last week.

Simple and complex carbs all in one!:biggrin:

OP
OP
Shrim

Shrim

I've found my ideal pre-ride .... 'Crunchy Nut Clusters with Chocolate curls' and blue top milk! Kept me going for a good 40 mile ride last week.

Simple and complex carbs all in one!:biggrin:
This seems a lot more appetising to me than porridge, for me anyway.

Thanks for all your comments!

Top Bottom