Yet Another New Arrival

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scooby

After seeing a number of the posts it seems I'm not the only one who's returning to cycling after a few years, in my case approx 25 years.
Last year I bought myself a second hand Trek 3500 MTB and have been out and about quite a bit purely to help to get a bit fitter.

I'd like a little bit of advice from anyone that can provide it. In April there are a few of us tackling the Cumbrian Coast To Coast and currently I have those knobbly tyres (26 x 2.0) and someone said that if I switched to slicks I'd find it much easier going on the roads. I've got to be honest that in the last few weeks I've done a couple of 30 milers and it's been bleedin' hard work but if I was switching to slicks would I just go for the same diameter of tyre for a MTB or is the width as important?

This may seem like a thicko question but in my days of cycling you just walked into the shop picked a tyre of the right diameter and walked out. Nowadays you're faced with different widths, treads and vary varying prices. Any advice would be useful.

Thanks

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi Scooby

Welcome to CC :evil:

If I was you I would look at replacing the 26 x 2.0 nobblies with some slick / semi-slicks around the region of 26 x 1-1.5. You will notice a helluva difference!

If you're on a budget, something like these maybe:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14593
Although these will likely get dissed by those better informed than myself. Probably a touch heavy but looked okay for under a tenner...

Good Luck
SD

OP
OP
S

Scooby

Thanks SD I'll bear this in mind and have a look around. Would you recommend Slime inners for this type of tyre considering most of my training and the C2C is on country roads where the farmers aren't over enthusiastic with cleaning up after the hedge trimming?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Perhaps - or a decent pump with some self sticking patches. I noticed on the description that there wasn't much mention of kevlar or puncture protection on those tyres. You could spend a little more and get ones with this built in. Shouldn't cost the Earth :rolleyes:

jay clock

Massive member

Cubist

Still wavin'
Scooby

Another suggestion is Schwalbe City Jets. I have pair in 26x1.5 for communitng on my MTB. Makes all the difference in the world. Search ebay and you'll get a pair for about £20, but don't forget you'll probably need smaller innertubes

OP
OP
S

Scooby

Thanks for all the replys. I took on board all the advice and plumped for the Schwalbe City Jets 26x1.5 from Ebay, 2 for £13.99 plus p&p. I was very tempted by the Specialized Nimbus but couldn't find a pair at such a good price. Just received them and fitted tonight. Haven't had a chance to try them out properly yet but hopefully they'll be ok for the Cumbrian weather which seems to always be damp or bleedin' soaking.

Top Bottom