Yet another Newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave126

Hi
I have just bought my very first 'real bike'. Cycle 2work.
I have a trusty Felt City bike that I use daily for work, only a couple of miles. I was looking for a bike to use at weekends for a nice ride, I visit a local town 8 miles away every weekend, so I thought the 16 mile ride would be good for me.
I bought a Bordman Road race, So far I am very pleased, suprised how light and fast the bike is. My wife made me promise not to start wearing Lycra, but I have just bought Cycle shorts as the added padding is really needed. I am not sure if the saddle will shape to me or I need to shape to the saddle.
I need to do something about the peddles. It takes me a long time propped up against a wall th get me feet into the straps :-( , I have now just taken the straps off but I think I will just buy normal pedals.
I am now just waiting for some decent weather, to start enjoying my new hobby.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Wives always say that about lycra - don't believe it - they love it really. You won't always be so reliant on padding though - the first law of cycling is 'The more you ride the less your bum will hurt.' Welcome to the forum!

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
G'day Dave, welcome to the show. You have the same bike as I have, and I had the same discomfort problem that you have! The offending anatomy does improve with time, but it can be a long process. I acclimatised myself by changing the stock Boardman saddle for a Selle San Remo for about 150 miles or so, then re-fitting the 'proper' white saddle after I'd toughened up some. It feels fine now.
I couldn't get on with the toe clips, and I swapped them out for a pair of Shimano A530 pedals after the first two rides! These are 'half and half' with cleat bindings on one side and a normal flat pedal on the other. I have never ridden the bike without SPD shoes on though, and in retrospect I should have bought straight SPD pedals (SPD as opposed to SPD-SL gives you the option of a partially recessed cleat in the shoe, so you can walk in your cycles shoes a little way, a must in the pub:cheers: )

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Dave & :welcome:

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi Dave and :welcome:
I think you should at least consider clipless pedals.
As Eribiste says the Shimano A530 pedals are a good option and well worth considering.
I resisted going clipless for a long time and, when I finally made the transition, I wished I had done it earlier. I ended up with Shimano SPDs and Shimano MTB shoes which you can walk about with.
I also think you should consider getting a better saddle. Look around the forum using the search option about saddles.
I'm pleased you like your new bike and wish you many happy hours of riding.

Top Bottom