Yet another newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madmac14

Hi all,

probably should have joined something like this before I bought my bike but didn'thave much cash and the second hand stuff was rubbish. So I bought a Tesco maountain bike. yep its pretty much crap but it does the job when I feel like trying to cycle in to work. Latest agro however is my rear tye going pop! Can anyone recommend something more road acceptable? I am aware knobblies are hard work on the road. Reason I plumped forthe mountain bike is mostly coz the roads round here are full of holes and I'm also a bit overweight. Thought the stresses of each would probably lead to the wheel folding up on me

I do about 12 mile round trip but this is by putting bike in trunk and driving half way. Did try cycling the 24 miles on a couple of occasions but with 1.75 mtb tyres and me not fit was hard work to be polite. Would like to cycle more but wonder how I can improve things?

Cheers
Mark

Fozz

i would have thought anything named would be better than whats on there........

if you`re not doing any off road work you can get road tyre for MTB`s

welcome BTW, from another newbie.....

Not trying to hijack a thread, but I'm using 26" x 1.75's on my bike which I use mainly on road with occasional tracks.

What would be recommended to use to get more from my bike and less effort from me. I would say 85% road use, 15% track and trail.

At present I'm using the rubber supplied when I bought the bike - Kendo.

Brian

OP
OP
madmac14

madmac14

i would have thought anything named would be better than whats on there........

if you`re not doing any off road work you can get road tyre for MTB`s

welcome BTW, from another newbie.....

Thanks, I have just ordered a slick 1.5 for the rear plus tube as I think the standard ones a bit too big to fit nicely. I have some time off shortly and am gonna try and to set it up properly. Least if I get things setup right I can hopefully get a bit fitter while saving for something better.

cheers

OP
OP
madmac14

madmac14

Not trying to hijack a thread, but I'm using 26" x 1.75's on my bike which I use mainly on road with occasional tracks.

What would be recommended to use to get more from my bike and less effort from me. I would say 85% road use, 15% track and trail.

Brian

Sounds better than the stuff I have/had. A quick search online suggested to me that slicks would be best. As I don't do any off road stuff the extra rolling resistance of the knobblies was pointless. from what I can tell the slicks can run at higher pressure and thus deform less on tarmac so should have less rolling resistance. Of course the ones I hope to change to will be no good for mud plugging.

Cheers

Fozz

i`m a skint pauper too so i can relate to that...........lots of good advice on here and it`s a friendly place.......just don`t be the first to go for the cake......!!!!:laugh: :wacko:

i had to have two fingers grafted back on

Sounds better than the stuff I have/had. A quick search online suggested to me that slicks would be best. As I don't do any off road stuff the extra rolling resistance of the knobblies was pointless. from what I can tell the slicks can run at higher pressure and thus deform less on tarmac so should have less rolling resistance. Of course the ones I hope to change to will be no good for mud plugging.

Cheers

Thanks for that. Was thinking of 1.5's, but not too sure how the bike would look. I've seen a picture that was put up by someone on here, and it can make the bike look strange with so large a frame and small gauged slick type tyres. And before anyone comments, a new bike is not in order, if I'm going to stay married, even the suggestion is off limits.

Brian

Ibbots

Brian

Semi slicks might be for you, smooth/low profile tread in the middle for easy rolling on the hard stuff and knobs on the side for a bit more grip off road.

OP - have a look over on Commuting, there's a long thread about tyres for commuting.

rugbyluke

I'm 17 stone mate, and my road bike is fine

Arch

Married to Night Train
For chunky yet smooth, I'd recommend Schwalbe Big Apples. Pretty slick, but good cushions on rough roads. I have them on my winter bike. For the lazy among us, an added advantage is that they will run at criminally low pressures :blush:. I got round to topping them up recently and found they'd been running at about 1 bar (about a quarter of the ideal I think) - sluggish, but still working.

Top Bottom