Yet another what bike request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
The front forks - the things that hold the front tyre in place - have suspension on them, to absorb some of the shock from the bumps and ruts on the trail/road. When you are not on a bumpy track, you don't want the shock absorbers to be bouncing, as every time you put your weight on the pedal, the first thing to happen is that the front of the bike dips, as the front fork is slightly compressed. This uses up a lot of your hard-to-come-by energy ! :ohmy:

Many front forks have a little dial thing that you can turn, which 'locks out' the suspension, so it doesn't 'work' when you are on a harder, smoother surface, like a tarmac road. :thumbsup:

Means you can go faster on the road :bicycle: for the same energy ! :wahhey:
thanks for the explanation, I presumed something like that but worth asking I thought.

Cyclist33

I would start thinking about justifying spending more, if nothing else because of the fuel and running cost savings you've already made by going to one car.

Up your budget to £500 and you can pick and choose from so many nice hybrids... and personally I wouldn't bother with front suspension.

Stu

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

I would start thinking about justifying spending more, if nothing else because of the fuel and running cost savings you've already made by going to one car.

Up your budget to £500 and you can pick and choose from so many nice hybrids... and personally I wouldn't bother with front suspension.

Stu

Hi Stu

I respect your comments however my budget is £300, unfortunately a lot of the savings made by going to one car have been spent elsewhere.

I'm also sure if my budget was £500 someone would pipe up and suggest I stretch my budget and spend £750.

I respect your opinion but I'll keep my budget, one less variable.

thanks

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Evening all.

I thought I would update you all with my final purchase out of respect for your comments and advice.

I took a completely different approach and ended up purchasing a reconditioned bike from The Guildford Bike Project a community project near to where I work.

They take in unwanted bikes and then service and recondition them and sell them onto the public. They also provide work and life skills to those less fortunate.

I was so impressed wigh the project and the service from the staff that I bought a BTwin Rockrinder 5.0 for £65. Three month warranty and if I bring it back before the warranty ends they will service the bike and ensure everything is all running well. A shiny shiny brand new bike was very tempting but I think I have made the right decision and if I get totally bitten by the cycling bike and need something more advanced I know that i haven't wasted a fortune.

[if you don't like profanity please stop reading]

Rode it home today and now my @rse and b0ll0cks are aching but enjoyed the nearly 18km cycle home. Bike did better than I.
For those interested you can see my route travelled (after I had got the train South from Guildford) here.

Many thanks to all.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Wow.

That really is a bit different.

I admire people who travel down different paths to achieve a similar goal (such as your bike project) & help good causes along the way.

I wish I could say I did the same & 'helped' in some little way but...

Oh well...

I applaud you instead.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Wow.

That really is a bit different.

I admire people who travel down different paths to achieve a similar goal (such as your bike project) & help good causes along the way.

I wish I could say I did the same & 'helped' in some little way but...

Oh well...

I applaud you instead.

I'm pleased with my choice and if after 1,2, 3 months or years I want something more expensive I can and I know i haven't spent a fortune.

I think a lot of the people who log on asking "what bike should I buy" should absolutely be sent to community bike project. They can alway trade up!

Top Bottom