Yet more new bike advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonhall41

Hi

I know this has been done to death but I would like some advice about a new bike please!

I am wanting to start road cycling following a broken leg – I have read this forum and have decided that a Triban 500 SE or similar would be a pretty good starter bike.

My problem is that whilst I am 5’10” tall (178cms) with an inside leg of 29” (74cms), when I stand over a 54 frame I can only just about put my feet down. Should I consider a smaller frame such as a 51 where I can stand comfortably or get my legs lengthened (painful but not impossible!!!).

I only intend to ride 10 – 20 miles regularly with an occasional 40 – 50 at the weekend – I can’t see myself joining you guys who do 100’s of miles but you never know.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Jon

vickster

Legendary Member
Smaller frame with a longer stem, or try different makes. Evans are accommodating for test rides. I think the Tribans come up small but with a long stem, so you may be looking at a 54cm with a shorter stem. You can't judge all manufacturers against the same sizing criteria

Which bike will depend on your budget to some degree. If you are not sure on what you want, you might be best off with a well regarded LBS with good aftersales (might need to loosen the purse strings beyond £400 though)

OP
OP
J

jonhall41

Hey Vickster thanks for the quick reply and the advice - greatly appreciated - in that case can anyone recommend a good LBS in South Lancashire (Ormskirk) or Liverpool please? thanks Jon

vickster

Legendary Member
Liverpool giant store were selling off last year's models at 40% off, dunno whether at the lower end of the price scale

I've seen picton cycles linked too who are in liverpool

Sharky

Guru
When you say put your foot down - do you mean when seated on the saddle?
When seated, if you can touch the floor, then your saddle is far too low and would make for inefficient riding.

Cheers keith

OP
OP
J

jonhall41

Thanks vickster - excuse my ignorance over the LBS!
Hi Sharky - I'm sorry I didn't explain it clearly - I meant when I am off the saddle standing on the floor! short legs are a curse broken or not! thanks for the reply - Jon

+1 for going to Decathlon and trying the Triban. When I bought mine they were happy for me to have a good ride around on it to make sure it was the right size.

Top Bottom