Yoo Hoo ! :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shinigami

Hi, thought Ide pop along on this site to see whats what ! Just completed the C2C with my babes misusawa. Did it on a £150 squid bike from Halfords. Been watching the cycling show (which tells me nothing about cycling - lots about sport though) Ide rather explore the scenic ex railway come cycle routes. Bought a bicycle magazine the other day & like the cycle show told me nothing about cycling but only how to spend ridiculous amounts of money ! With some of the prices of bikes, I could buy a decent superbike or a cheap car. Also confused about disc brakes, why have them on a bicycle ? More expensive & complicated if they go wrong ! & e bikes ? might as well buy a vespa (which I also have). Sorry to rabbit on but Im an average guy, whos got back into cycling (commuting to work in this nice weather & weekend fun) hopefully on this site is average people, who can give me decent advice with pocket money prices....

Misusawa

Welcomes sweetie ! <3

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Shinigami and :welcome:.

You may be shocked at how expensive bikes seem to start with, but once you get into it you'll find yourself drooling over a £5K carbon fibre machine at some point.:laugh:

Disc brakes - started with the mountain bike crowd because they needed the brakes to stay out of the mud. Now they are desirable and manufacturers are fitting them to everything. In practice they work very well and the hydraulic ones need little maintenance once set up.

E-bikes - they don't need a licence and suit people who want to cycle but can't go far or can't manage hills, or those who just want to arrive quickly at their destination without being too sweaty.

I'd consider myself one of the average people you're looking for and am happy to offer advice when I can.:thumbsup:

Welcome! Aslong as the bike works fine its more about the rider! I dont see a point in spending a few thousand on a bike unless you are racing competitively where everything can give you an edge

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome!
Read all about your C2C from your babe's blog. The two of you had a great time without the aid of carbon forks it seems :thumbsup:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Hi and welcome
. Never forget that a bicycle is basically 2 wheels and a frame with NO ENGINE. You are the engine so it will only go as fast as you can pedal. Age, level of fitness and stamina will dictate your speed and that's all there is to it. :whistle:
Some people on here ride for speed and distance, others just for pleasure. I am in the latter and happy to ride at my own pace and I choose how far I want to go.:tongue:
Whatever bike you have, enjoy it but beware, before you know it, you will start spending on accessories and such like once you have the bug, just like any other hobby. :hello:

paul04

Über Member
Hello :hello:

OP
OP
shinigami

shinigami

thanks for the replies. I agree the engine is the rider & maybe I might drool over a 5K bike but Ide never spend more than £ 500 at the most - but rather not ! Now Ive done the C2C like to try the North Sea Cycle Route (in bits) & the pennine way or Reivers. Ide also like to try a mni triathlon just for a laugh ! Notice theres the Tour De Forth in Edinburgh on Sunday. Love to give that a go but unfortunately dont have a car to transport our bikes but ce la vie ! Curious what are the best hybrid bikes from £ 300 to £ 500 ?

thanks for the replies. I agree the engine is the rider & maybe I might drool over a 5K bike but Ide never spend more than £ 500 at the most - but rather not ! Now Ive done the C2C like to try the North Sea Cycle Route (in bits) & the pennine way or Reivers. Ide also like to try a mni triathlon just for a laugh ! Notice theres the Tour De Forth in Edinburgh on Sunday. Love to give that a go but unfortunately dont have a car to transport our bikes but ce la vie ! Curious what are the best hybrid bikes from £ 300 to £ 500 ?
A good way to get a decent bike is to look for last years models, most bike shops sell last years bikes which can cost cheaper than the current years bikes. Ive got a 2010 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Hybrid which cost me £400 in 2011 from M. Steeles in S. Gosforth.

Top Bottom