You bloody white van man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Woz!

As with all these things (helmets, headphones, even ridiing a bike in the first place) it's about balancing risk. For instance - I find a mirror very handy for knowing what's going on behind me - do you have a mirror installed? If not, then you're not taking advantage of all the safety options open to you.

asterix

Comrade Member
very-near said:
So you argue 'for' improvements in driver training on speed limited vehicles on this thread, and then argue 'against' this principle of improved training in favour of lower limits on the budget speed limits thread currently residing in the bin :biggrin:

I think you just like arguing for the hell of it Asterix as your logic is all screwed up :biggrin:

Linfordlunchbox/LLB/Very-near or whatever your name is today, just for the record, I am all in favour of improved driver training as well as adherence to the speed limit and the imposition of lower speed limits on rural roads as a default. My opinion on driver training was formed years ago when I realised the benefit of learning to ride a motor cycle as a way of improving the way I drove other, easier, vehicles.

It is you who is clearly screwed up, partly for infesting a forum, in whose main activity you have failed to show any real interest, purely to promote your own cause and also because you cannot see that it is possible to favour improved driver training as well as lower speed limits.

What is more you seem to think that there is a class of vehicles that are 'speed limited' whereas all motor vehicles are 'speed limited' on public roads.

Perhaps you would also like to point out any posts I made in the thread you mention; the forum search indicates that there no posts from me in it!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Hearing is a valid and important part of your road safety, being able to hear a vehicle approach, change gear or increase revs gives you a certain amount of information, along with making checks over your shoulder, with regard to a motorist's intentions.
To think the need to hear is over rated is folly.

thomas

the tank engine
tdr1nka said:
Hearing is a valid and important part of your road safety, being able to hear a vehicle approach, change gear or increase revs gives you a certain amount of information, along with making checks over your shoulder, with regard to a motorist's intentions.

+1

asterix said:
Linfordlunchbox/LLB/Very-near or whatever your name is today, just for the record, I am all in favour of improved driver training as well as adherence to the speed limit and the imposition of lower speed limits on rural roads as a default. My opinion on driver training was formed years ago when I realised the benefit of learning to ride a motor cycle as a way of improving the way I drove other, easier, vehicles.

It is you who is clearly screwed up, partly for infesting a forum, in whose main activity you have failed to show any real interest, purely to promote your own cause and also because you cannot see that it is possible to favour improved driver training as well as lower speed limits.

What is more you seem to think that there is a class of vehicles that are 'speed limited' whereas all motor vehicles are 'speed limited' on public roads.

Perhaps you would also like to point out any posts I made in the thread you mention; the forum search indicates that there no posts from me in it!

It takes far more skill to ride a m/cycle than drive a car. This is why advanced training is offered and taken up with far more regularity for riders than drivers - With lack of protection like a tin box around them, m/cyclists see the value in it as it is ability which is more likely to keep one safe than safety devices.

Arch

Married to Night Train
tdr1nka said:

Absolutely, but I think, used sensibly, earphones needn't interfere with your hearing too much. I rode back from Selby last week with earphones in (the in ear type) and never felt I'd missed a thing, aurally. I could hear birdsong on the bike path, and was quite aware of traffic around me in town...

Yes, to have your ears completely covered, or to have music too loud, is daft, but personally wouldn't condemn someone just fo having earphones in, sensibly.

(I don't often wear them myself, just on longer rides, to keep myself company).

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
col said:
Ahaa yes we had a high point we all used to drive to too. It was great fun, more like an big outing than anything, and when we spotted each other all you heard over the air was EYEBALL EYEBALL ;) great fun times those, Iv still got a couple of cb sets in my attic with a gp aerial too.

And CB is now full of dicks(pretty much) who just sit on there and swear and give abuse.
I do/did(dont bother with it anymore) amateur radio and that was pretty good. Never had a set up on my bike though.
My dad used to do CB when it first came over and hes told me many stories about it, how they used to have to hide radios under seats in the car, and just have an extension on the normal radio antenna to use as the antenna for CB.

col

Legendary Member
Joe24 said:
And CB is now full of dicks(pretty much) who just sit on there and swear and give abuse.
I do/did(dont bother with it anymore) amateur radio and that was pretty good. Never had a set up on my bike though.
My dad used to do CB when it first came over and hes told me many stories about it, how they used to have to hide radios under seats in the car, and just have an extension on the normal radio antenna to use as the antenna for CB.

I listened to them some time ago and its changed for the worst as usual eh. when we were on it was like a forum, all chatting away, and meeting up, it was great in its origional days. Yes your dad is right, it was a sort of illegal ish activity until they changed the allowed frequencies and powers that were allowed which made them legal, but that was its downfall, crap range and reception so it all but died out.

Top Bottom