You can never have too many lights. ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
For Xmas, I received an led flashing vest. Since I already had one, I thought I'd make use of my old one on the bike. I can have either On, Flash or strobe. Oh, and whilst on the subject of lights does anyone own a http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:blush:T ....seems a good price for a SSC-P7 led (900 lumins). At least 1/2 the price of some others. Anyway, on with the light show!!

light1.jpg

light7.jpg

light6.jpg

light4.jpg

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
<cynical mode>
... and now wait for Mrs Hockey Mum in her 4x4 to come within a whisker of mowing you down ... and then claim she didn't see you ...
</cynical mode>

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Erm your front and rear lights don't meet the OMFG what was that status ? :wacko:

Bright yes (ish)...?

OMFG status. nope. SORRY

I like the side lights though ! :biggrin:

Drivers still won't see you even my OMFG status means I'm not safe ! :blush:

BSRU

A Human Being
I do not think you are allowed to have red lights showing to the side like that and especially not pointing forward, although the Police will not do anything about, judging by the number of ninja cyclist's around.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

I do not think you are allowed to have red lights showing to the side like that and especially not pointing forward, although the Police will not do anything about, judging by the number of ninja cyclist's around.

Yup. Technically it should be red back, orange side, white (or yellow) front. Mind, you're not supposed to have flashing lights either, but 90% of riders I see have flashing front/rears.
As a driver it doesn't bother me to see flashing lights, and anything that makes me more visible, I'll do.....At least until I get tugged by the old bill.

Norm

Yup. Technically it should be red back, orange side, white (or yellow) front. Mind, you're not supposed to have flashing lights either, but 90% of riders I see have flashing front/rears.
As a driver it doesn't bother me to see flashing lights, and anything that makes me more visible, I'll do.....At least until I get tugged by the old bill.
Flashing lights are allowed.

BSRU

A Human Being

I think if you have flashing lights you need a solid lights as well, just not flashers on thier own.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Flashing lights are allowed.

I stand corrected Norm! It appears there was a change in law back in '95. I'm sure I once had some flashing lights that said 'not for road use' but that was loooooong time ago, and times change.

Looking into it, apparently.....

"a light without a steady mode is considered approved only if it flashes at a constant rate of between 60 to 240 flashes per minute and has a luminous intensity of at least 4 candela"

I'm better set the stopwatch and get counting!

I wonder if this would be legal???

800px-Lighted_bicycle_jacket.jpg

Norm

I stand corrected Norm! It appears there was a change in law back in '95. I'm sure I once had some flashing lights that said 'not for road use' but that was loooooong time ago, and times change.
'05 rather than '95 but yeah, the older flashers did have "not for road use".

Top Bottom