You shall not PASS!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
My usual commute home is just under 5 miles, now the week before last, there was a sign up on the final stretch (about a mile) saying that the road would be closed from the 16/1/12, didn't say how long for. I thought I'd take a gamble on Monday and have a peep to see if it was reopened, it wasn't officially, but there were cars going through, so, no problem, couple of ramps to negotiate, but otherwise fine.
Now tonight, blowing a gale, belting down with rain and as I'm sure you've guessed by now it was shut, totally, barrier across and a works van with lights flashing and workmen working (seriously). So on the worst day for weeks I had a choice of the 8 mile route home or the 10 mile route home, being a real man I obviously chose the 10 mile route and battled valiantly through the elements. Arriving home absolutely soaked but disturbingly pleased with my unplanned efforts.
I would however like to thank my wife for not reminding me to take my overshoes this morning, it certainly couldn't be my fault!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
That's bad luck MS, especially in the rain. I often experience similar over here in E. Anglia with rural lanes closed for works. Diversions by bike can be a real long-winded pain, but tbh in my experience the fellas will normally let a bike through if you're prepared to chance it.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I hate cycling in the rain. The wind I can put up with as I can plan my route around it (have a headwind one way, tailwind other). But I cannot stand getting wet (especially in the cold), because I feel like I cannot put as much effort in.

Fortunately, ne matter how strong the wind is, it is always going East, so I can plan my route around that. I don't know if you had a headwind all the way, or a side wind in parts, but as long as you hunker down over the bars it wil be fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wind rain, dress appropriately.

You can 'normally' get round road works - just resume pedestrian with a bike mode :thumbsup:

We've done it many times on club runs - road totally blocked, picture a load of blokes slip sliding around on a muddy grass verge with bikes on their shoulders - aka cross style (although we had road shoes) :laugh:

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You can 'normally' get round road works - just resume pedestrian with a bike mode :thumbsup:

They may have done, but this is a single track road, with high banks either side and they were resurfacing it, so it would have been doubtful :sad:. When I'd gone through the previous night the bit they had laid was still warm, my tyres were gleaming by the time I reached the other end of it!
I didn't really mind the additional mileage, I intended doing 15 - 20 miles commute when the weather improved a bit, certainly wouldn't have chosen that particular night though :rain:
On a plus note it was open again tonight and has all now been resurfaced, brand new roads are the BEST, kept a nice 20 -22 mph average over the last 1.5 miles, so it was definitely worth the soaking from the other night.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I saw this thread and thought the revolution had started.

No Pasaran!

A las Barricadas!
Lol, it wasn't quite what I had intended, I was thinking more I was the Balrog and the workmen were Gandalf and I was trying to get across the Bridge of Khazad-Dum :shy:

LOL the OP reminds me of the time I was meeting a mate in central Edinburgh and on the outskirts I saw the signs for road closure; its a road that has been closed before but cyclist's have always been able to get through. How wrong was I :blush: the rail bridge was getting lifted (a once in 20 year event), I ended up having to backtrack to Kirkliston and enter Edinburgh by the busy A8 dual carriageway, with trying again to make a short cut I think I ended up doing an extra 7.5 miles or so.

Top Bottom