You try and be polite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irw

Quadricyclist
Standing up for an hour on the way to Crewe holding the bikes :sad:

The train pulls up at our station, "oh good", I think as I see non of the flip up seats by the London Midland 'round toilet', aka the disabled/cycle area, are taken.

So Mrs IRW and I politely wait for the 6 or seven foot passengers to get on, then get on ourselves.

Yep, you've guessed it, half those who got on have sat on the long side of the area, the bit that's best for bikes. Me being a polite chap, and not wanting to bother them, wrangle both bikes into the more awkward shorter side. Unfortunately I can't leave them on this side as the position isn't very stable :sad:

Ho Hum.

OP
OP
irw

irw

Quadricyclist
Update: They've just all got off at Stafford, Yey! Bikes to the other side and a seat!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I've been after some stickers with bikes on for a while now to put on the wall (do trains have walls ?) behind the bike area seats. I don't have the nerve to do it but one guy that gets on in Birmingham just wedges his bike against people's legs if they're sat in the bike spaces.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
They should have a dedicated area in the carriage, they make enough damn money off their customers.. er I mean commuters. People shouldnt have to share like that, its undignified and leads to resentment between different types of customer.

Brommie77

Just get a Brompton - problem over ;) , also they make fantastic weapons when people wont let you off the train, as they are trying to push their way on....:biggrin:

suecsi

Just get a Brompton - problem over ;) , also they make fantastic weapons when people wont let you off the train, as they are trying to push their way on....:biggrin:

Thought that was just me - I'm standing right by the darn door in a fairly obvious (to me at least) position, to be getting off, in a hi-vis jacket and all, and the scrum (appropriate for the station I guess) that greets you when you open the doors at Twickenham (mind you, it is the last stop on that route you have a cat in hells chance of getting a seat to Waterloo), you look people in the eye and think, well unless you let me off you're not getting on ......:whistle:

Brommie77

Thought that was just me - I'm standing right by the darn door in a fairly obvious (to me at least) position, to be getting off, in a hi-vis jacket and all, and the scrum (appropriate for the station I guess) that greets you when you open the doors at Twickenham (mind you, it is the last stop on that route you have a cat in hells chance of getting a seat to Waterloo), you look people in the eye and think, well unless you let me off you're not getting on ......:whistle:

I usually find that the odd 'knocked' knee, and they get out of the way..:laugh: You can alsways spot the regulars, they move out of the way when I appear in the doorway..

Seriously though, why dont people 'get it' that letting people off first is much more conducive to them getting on. Some stations do seem worse than others.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I usually find that the odd 'knocked' knee, and they get out of the way..:laugh: You can alsways spot the regulars, they move out of the way when I appear in the doorway..

Seriously though, why dont people 'get it' that letting people off first is much more conducive to them getting on. Some stations do seem worse than others.

That happens on buses also, and the doors are tighter too. Some girl was trying to push the pram off the other day on a First bus and these stupid teens just stood there gawping at her in the door way. Driver have them a mouthful, a polite one, but did the trick.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
So Mrs IRW and I politely wait for the 6 or seven foot passengers to get on, then get on ourselves.
Grow them tall up north :wacko:

Top Bottom