You wait for ages, then one tries to kill you!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joebingo

Über Member
Having not spent any money on buses this year, I thought that my days of disparity with TFL were at an end, until about 6 o'clock this evening.

I was cycling along at about 25 or so, and I noticed 2 buses pulled up at a bus stop . I couldn't see the second bus' driver, as he was parked so close to the bus in front(why on earth do they do that???). "Fair enough", I thought, right until the second bus decided to pull out without indicating, to overtake the other bus. Right onto my side of the road, in front of me. I put up my hand in the ususal 'wtf' gesture, only to see him do the same, only with a number of select words (which thankfully I didnt hear). He carried on driving at me, forcing me to mount the pavement with about an inch or so to spare, and carried on his way.

Unfortunately, I didn't catch his number plate, as it was over in seconds. I do know the number of the bus route, though without an accurate time, what good would this be?

A bit annoying that my first topic here is a negative one. Nonetheless, it's an awesome community here, And one that I feel comfortable to rant in, which says a lot!

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
what you do is phone the bus company .. tell them you wish to make a complaint against the actions of one of their drivers .. you give them the bus number (if you have it) or failing that you give them the estimated time of day it happend / the road / the direction the bus was travelling on that road.

they'll be able to work out who it was from that small amount of information and they'll act on it.

hope it helps
Norm

Bristol Dave

I've got a pet bus driver who pulls out on me when he sees me (I'm not paranoid!). It is never dangerous just rude, forcing me to slow or change course. I'm sure it is a sport amongst these 'professional' drivers.

BD

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You don't have to be a professional. I had a car do something very similar to me this morning: he, up ahead and coming the other way on an empty road, spotted a parking space on my side of the road, so came across to my side to take it, forcing me to swerve out onto the other side of the road to avoid a head-on collision. He could have waited a few seconds till I was past (as he certainly would have done if I'd been a car or motorbike) and it wasn't like he didn't see me - I know he did. He just acted like I didn't exist. He wasn't being paid for being a twat. He was just a twat.

OP
OP
joebingo

joebingo

Über Member
NormanD said:
what you do is phone the bus company .. tell them you wish to make a complaint against the actions of one of their drivers .. you give them the bus number (if you have it) or failing that you give them the estimated time of day it happend / the road / the direction the bus was travelling on that road.

they'll be able to work out who it was from that small amount of information and they'll act on it.

hope it helps
Norm

Thanks Norm, I'll give TFL a call this evening and see what they say.

I've normally found professional drivers to be more in tune with cyclists needs on the road than the rush hour lot. Unfortunately, there always has to be an exception to the rule!

The buses here are generally good but I know what you mean in the title. The only incident I can recall with a bus was late evening a few months back. I was in the right turn lane but I stupidly (my mistake) got bullied out of the way by a Porsche. A bus who was going straight decided to go through the gap rather than undertaking in the correct empty lane. I got a bit of a fright when I went to turn right ;)

yenrod

joebingo said:
A bit annoying that my first topic here is a negative one. Nonetheless, it's an awesome community here, And one that I feel comfortable to rant in, which says a lot!

Hi Joe - Yeah its pretty fine round 'ere..just like an old family (in some ways)...all the best...!

OP
OP
joebingo

joebingo

Über Member
Thanks Yenrod!

I've been reading the forums since January when I bought my bike. I had to stop riding from February to June due to an injury (unrelated to cycling - fell of the kerb like a muppet!), and don't think I would have got back in the bike were I not reading stuff on here. So yeah, it is pretty fine around here!

Top Bottom