Your assistance for a newbie. Please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byusarkis

Regular
I'm looking for a road bike, to add to my MTB.
To be used for commuting and a bit of road work if I get my lazy bum moving.

I have problems with lower back and knees, so

1. I'm assuming a bike fit will be of benefit to me?
2. A tourer type bike will be a better geometry than a more race set up type.
3. Any ideas on pedal types, types of clip etc

Any help or thought will be much appreciated.

Thank you

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Yes for the bike fitting- useful even if you don't have problems with back/ knees- some shops will offer them FOC when purchasing a bike so worth shopping around.
There will be a more relaxed geometry to whatever you're considering- most models will have a race version and a longer distance/ sportif version, what are you thinking of? Your LBS should be able to help.
SPD- SLs would probably be your best bet as these have 'float' allowing the foot to move around through the stroke whilst remaining attached from what I understand.
Your LBS would be able to help you out with all of the above and other people on here more than me!

DaveyM

Über Member
After some quite serious back issues I found the relaxed geometry of a cyclocross a perfect fit for me, but as with all joint issues, whats good for me might be agony for you. I had to go out and sit on as many as I could, have a few test rides and see what good for you

OP
OP
byusarkis

byusarkis

Regular
You dont mention price. If you have £1200, I recommend theSpecialized Roubaix

I was looking at this very bike a few months ago when UK cycles had it on offer for £750 (I think, but can't be sure).

Budget is up to 700 really. First bike and im not 100% sure ill take to it more than my work commute.
I've seen the new planet x bike.
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBSABLAROCTIA/sab_la_rocca_shimano_tiagra_road_bike
This have any value to it?
Im a bit confused, carbon rear but not forks? Why?

Thanks. You guys are great.
My knees seem to cope with SPD on the MTB, do I'm happy you've suggested that.

BAtoo

Über Member
I have problems with lower back and knees,

Me too... to the extent that walking upstairs was often uncomfortable & squatting has been a thing of the past for some time.

Started riding (again) 6 weeks ago; I have a Dawes Giro 200 so I suspect a fairly relaxed position especially as I often ride it on the hoods or bar and not often on the drops.
It has helped my knees and back a lot (and my overall fitness). I have gradually raised the saddle a bit which has helped (to start I couldn't ride standing on the pedals & now I can do so for a short while).
I can now walk upstairs without much pain and can do about a half squat.
I'm up to regular 10-mile rides and a bit longer at weekends (I work full time).

Me too... to the extent that walking upstairs was often uncomfortable & squatting has been a thing of the past for some time.

Started riding (again) 6 weeks ago; I have a Dawes Giro 200 so I suspect a fairly relaxed position especially as I often ride it on the hoods or bar and not often on the drops.
It has helped my knees and back a lot (and my overall fitness). I have gradually raised the saddle a bit which has helped (to start I couldn't ride standing on the pedals & now I can do so for a short while).
I can now walk upstairs without much pain and can do about a half squat.
I'm up to regular 10-mile rides and a bit longer at weekends (I work full time).
I sufferd a compression injury to my right leg some year ago, fell about a foot on to my heal broke a bone in the foot and server bruising up to my knee and then some more, I have a high pain threshold but I passed out, woke up looking at blue sky.
Anyway last year when I started I used to get a really shrap pain behind my knee cap now and again if I eased off the pedal it passed, these days I now no longer get the pain though I can still feel where it might be, and my right leg is always the one to ache more.

Top Bottom