Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 17 - 19mph

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 19 - 21mph

• 21mph +

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TechMech

Looking at my Cyclogs entries for the summer time I was averaging around 14-16mph over a 41 mile loop that I did several times.

I'm hoping to up this a notch for next year, as I've entered the Etape Caledonia and would like to post a respectable time.

Just waiting for the bloody snow to clear now to get some training in :biggrin:

earth

My fastest over a 20 mile ride was 19.2. I ride 10 miles to a halfway point, turn around and ride 10 miles back along the same, fairly flat, route. So that takes wind assistance/resistance out of the average.

a_n_t

lukesdad said:
Average speed is not a good statistic at the best of times.

agreed.

when i'm commuting, 16+ mph
clubruns, 16 - 18 mph.
10 TT, 24+ mph

I only take notice of TT averages as they are the most constant.

In my experience the average speed of club runs around here seems to be 17-19 and thats generally for the fast group.

If its a good club then I wouldnt be too worried as they should wait for you.

zacklaws

Guru
Average speeds unfortunatly do not reflect in a lot of cases how much effort a rider has put in as most times your at the mercy of the conditions etc. I have never achived an average speed of over 18mph but I can ride on occasions for well over an hour at 22mph which seems to be my cruising speed in the right conditions ie not uphill and no strong head winds. Once you start adding up all the junctions, hills etc, the average speed suddenly drops. I set my Garmin Edge to record 5 mile laps when I ride, and after a long ride I can have 10 laps or more recorded, and amongst those laps, I get some recorded at 20+ average over 5 miles but a lot down in the 13 to 14 average which brings the total average down to around 16 to 17 sadly.

A lot of my riding is based on my average speed and from that I know if I will achieve my target over a certain distance, but I find that for example's sake on a 30 mile ride which I want to do under 2 hours, I need to average at least a minimum of 15mph average, but if I get to the last 10 miles and have only averaged say 14 to that point, I then have to bump up my maximum speed to try and raise that average it becomes a difficult task on occasions and the average speed increases painfully in only tenths of a mile, (brains not working this early in the morning to do the calculations of what speed I need to acheive). On some rides I have only managed to bump up my average from about 15.7 to 15.9 in about 5 miles going about 20mph.

You try and monitor your average speed and it is very noticable how high it can be at the start of a ride, and if it drops towards the end, you try and increase it back up again, it can be very difficult.

The best cycle computer that I have had is my trusty VDO C4 which they sadly do not make now and I do not know of any other computer that has this facility, would give me a forecast based on my average speed, so that I knew exactly how far I would get in for example in 4 hours if I was doing a 60 mile ride. If the forecast was less than 60 then I knew I was falling behind, over 60 I was happy.

jimboalee

The rate at which Average Speed changes can be exlained algebraically.

It is the difference between the Update interval and the Total of the recording.

On another thread, I mention my theory about 'Stop Junctions' and compensation for hills.

Firstly, measure the route on a Routefinder program. Then study it for every occasion you might need to stop. Add on 1% to the time.
Also add on 1% for every 10m contour you climb.

It's rough and ready but will soften dissapointment when your average speed drops due to traffic lights and hills...;)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
jimboalee said:
The rate at which Average Speed changes can be exlained algebraically.

It is the difference between the Update interval and the Total of the recording.

On another thread, I mention my theory about 'Stop Junctions' and compensation for hills.

Firstly, measure the route on a Routefinder program. Then study it for every occasion you might need to stop. Add on 1% to the time.
Also add on 1% for every 10m contour you climb.

It's rough and ready but will soften dissapointment when your average speed drops due to traffic lights and hills...;)

I used your method and with only counting stop junctions it was already 30mins longer than my slowest commute.

jimboalee

gaz said:
I used your method and with only counting stop junctions it was already 30mins longer than my slowest commute.

The 'base time' for your journey is the time it would take if you rode the whole distance at cruising speed.

eg. 18 mph cruise & 18 mile trip distance would give a 'base time' of 1 hour.
Now add 1% for every 'stop junction' and 1% for every uphill 10m contour.

You now have the time for the journey if the 'worst scenario' happened.

When you HAVE to be at a certain place at a certain time, that is the trip duration you should work around. eg. Last train out of town.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
jimboalee said:
The 'base time' for your journey is the time it would take if you rode the whole distance at cruising speed.

eg. 18 mph cruise & 18 mile trip distance would give a 'base time' of 1 hour.
Now add 1% for every 'stop junction' and 1% for every uphill 10m contour.

You now have the time for the journey if the 'worst scenario' happened.

When you HAVE to be at a certain place at a certain time, that is the trip duration you should work around. eg. Last train out of town.
Please correct my maths i am wrong, but my trip is around 14 miles, and i will happily coast at 18mph. that gives me a time of around 46mins. i go through 100 traffic lights and zebra crossing on my journey. so taking 1% of 46 and multiplying by 100 traffic lights is just going to give me 46 again. and thus worst case scenario is double my actual time. and this isn't even counting the contours i climb.

I don't think it works for my case.

Davidc

Guru
The last time I remember doing over 20 mph average over a distance greater than 20 miles was a long time ago when I was 25 years old (2 weeks before my son was born - did I get an earful for going off TTing!)

You need to be seriously fit and have a fast bike.

Now I can just about manage 15 mph on one regular loop of 23 miles, given a warm, still summer's day.

In a group it's possible to go much faster than you can alone, for all the reasons stated and using the techniques mentioned earlier in the thread, so I suspect that's how the club in the OP does it.

sagefly

Veteran
I'm in awe of a lot of the speed efforts on this thread, one day I hope to try and emulate them.

I've only been riding for about 4 months and in London on my commutes with traffic etc my computer says that I've been averaging 12 mph. my old bike was slow apparently so i'm looking forward to seeing how I get on on the new bike when it arrives.

Thanks for all of the thought provoking comments.

OP
OP
yashicamat

yashicamat

I think as has been said, one of the biggest factors is junctions, traffic lights etc. My highest averages, around the 18mph mark, have been achieved on (relatively boring) A-road cycle rides in the country where I only have the odd set of traffic lights to contend with, a very sharp contrast to cycling through London!

Top Bottom