Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Meet expected standards for a commuter light

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Above expected standards for a commuter light

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Much better than expected, the lights out perform most cyclists on the road

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Next friday, the scheme is open to non-registered users to start using. I would expect a large increase in users at this time, and espcially so during commuting hours.
For those of us who cycle in london, We know that now is the time where lights are most important when commuting. The low lying sun in the morning and the dark evenings means you really need to stand out.

But what are your opinons of the lights on the barclays cycle hire bikes?

barongreenback

Über Member
I voted for 'They have lights?' although judging from my drive through the centre of London early yesterday morning, any lights would be better than the majority of cyclists I encountered.

Bruce

Next friday, the scheme is open to non-registered users to start using. I would expect a large increase in users at this time, and espcially so during commuting hours.
For those of us who cycle in london, We know that now is the time where lights are most important when commuting. The low lying sun in the morning and the dark evenings means you really need to stand out.

But more imporatantly do they have cameras so we can all be a "Helmet Camera Cyclist" as opposed to an ordinary cyclist

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

They are really poor. I thought so very early on and have since found them very hard to spot...especially the front light. Riders going through the dark parks on a boris bike hardly stand out at all.

Tynan

Veteran
I think they're decent enough, on the roads at least, okish in daylight and perfectly acceptable in the dark, and as said, a lot better than plenty of private bikes

Origamist

Legendary Member
Mmm, I guilty of being a hypocrit here as I think the lights on Boris Bikes are fine, but I'd not opt for such a set-up on my own commuting bike. Why? Because I want something arrestingly bright and Boris Bike lights do not have the "shock and awe" effect, (which arguably you do not need anyway!).

Have you canvassed opinion on the borisbike forum?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I voted for meeting expected standards for a commuter light. They are not brilliant but they do their job. Central London at night is swathed in light from buildings/shops and street lights so cyclists are very easy to spot. As other have said, there are far worse lights being used by normal commuters.

Top Bottom