Youth Hostels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
There are independent hostels and camping barns about but it takes time to find them whereas YHA at least was a wide ranging set up that made it fairly easy to connect with their Hostels.
I wondered about this, so went looking.
This arrived today:

Large_IMG_2828.JPG

It's the 2020 version, but only £2.95 for p&p (normally £6,95 + p&p) https://independenthostels.co.uk/buy-independent-hostel-guide/
Looking forward to having a browse.

IaninSheffield

Veteran

IaninSheffield

Veteran
And on a similar theme, in the 'Your bike in front of a church' thread, Elybazza61 posted this earlier today - https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-bike-in-front-of-a-church.228387/post-6547190 - which would seem to involve 'Champing', something about which I was completely unaware.
Very reasonably priced if you're not solo, don't need luxuries such as a shower, but what amazing places to ... camp?
There's an OpenStreetMap map on the Champing site showing the location of all the churches, but it doesn't appear to be amenable to adapting.
I've quickly put together a Google Map version which might be easier if you're thinking of linking one or two together into a tour.
Champing churches – Google My Maps

... which would seem to involve 'Champing', something about which I was completely unaware.
Very reasonably priced if you're not solo, don't need luxuries such as a shower, but what amazing places to ... camp?
At the price, I'm very tempted (I'd heard about this earlier in C*v*d, your post spurred me to look properly) But "reasonable"? compared to what - it's way more than camping or hostels. And solo or not makes no odds:

MON – THURS
  • £49 per adult* per night
  • £25 per child per night
  • £12.50 breakfast**
FRI – SUN
  • £59 per adult* per night
  • £30 per child per night
  • £12.50 breakfast**
Sorry, just nitpicking!

Meanwhile, what does your Google maps thingy let me do that the map on the Champing site doesn't?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
At the price, I'm very tempted (I'd heard about this earlier in C*v*d, your post spurred me to look properly) But "reasonable"? compared to what - it's way more than camping or hostels. And solo or not makes no odds:

MON – THURS
  • £12.50 breakfast**
FRI – SUN
  • £12.50 breakfast**
Sorry, just nitpicking!

Meanwhile, what does your Google maps thingy let me do that the map on the Champing site doesn't?

More expensive than Travelodge and Premier Inn (online prices) outside hotspots.

IaninSheffield

Veteran

MON – THURS
  • £12.50 breakfast**
FRI – SUN
  • £12.50 breakfast**
Sorry, just nitpicking!

Not nitpicking at all. Just reading more carefully than I did! Thank you for doing so and I stand corrected.
I'd read the information through the lens of a solo traveller, assuming the charge was for the venue, and making the false assumption that it wouldn't make economic sense for them to allow the whole place to be hired by one person.

The Google map just provides a couple of additional features - clicking the placemarkers provides access to some supplementary information and the option to plot a route between the venue and somewhere else. And if you have a Google account and are logged in, probably a few other options such as adding the points to a map of your own, perhaps a tour itinerary. Maybe the OSM version also allows that and I missed it?

Top Bottom