Youth Racing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

She has an FFC license with a UCI number on it but a FR prefix, think I just need to get permission for her to race internationally. Just a matter of finding some interesting races to make it worth while coming across.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice, I am starting to get a feel for how the UK racing scene works. Anything else I should know / be aware of for bikes, race distances, etc?

Nothing you probably don't know already. Youth gear rollout table here: http://heanorclarion.org.uk/go-ride-for-youngsters/gear-restrictions-for-youth-and-junior-riders/ - might even be the same as you have over there, not sure. As long as your mech is locked off with the limit screws, nobody cares what cassette you are using. Turn up and enjoy...

oldroadman

Veteran
The FR prefix could be a problem in national series races (there are a few I think), but not sure. Definitely not allowed a start in a GB national championship (have to have a GBR prefix). I looked at the laps out rule (BC handbook reg 20.3, sad old git I am) and it's quite strict. Pit area changes only, and only crashes, punctures, and actual breakages qualify. Gear trouble, slipping seat pin, that sort of stuff would not, seen as (I quote a well known official) "poor preparation". Otherwise it's all been said above.

Citius

I think we're in danger of teaching veloman to suck eggs here. The 'laps out' rules are just standard crit rules which can be applied to any circuit race at the comm's discretion. I'm sure he will already know that. Foreign licences will not be an issue at NYS events. I've been to several NYS events where foreign riders, from foreign teams, with foreign licences, have been on the start line.

'National Series' is not the same as 'National Championship'.

OP
OP
veloman

veloman

Yes, similar situation over here if anyone fancies a trip over the channel. In circuit races. they can take a lap out for punctures etc. if they get back to the start finish line before the peloton comes past, then re-join, for longer races a following car will often take spare wheels. About half the kids are on aero tubs by youth B, the majority by youth A.

The gear rollout table is a little different, gearing tends to be quite a bit longer over here for Youth A / B http://www.ffc76.fr/2014 Tableau des developpements.pdf Junior appears the same. The kids are expected to use a 14 cassette and not use the limit screws, although a "newbie" will be allowed the first couple of times. Then it is just the front chain ring that changes as they move category, Youth B 14 / 46, Youth A 14 / 50 & Junior 14 / 52. Actually quite sensible for the French.
Race distances are typically, Youth C 15KM, Youth B 30KM, Youth A, 60 - 70KM, and Junior 90KM ->.

Top Bottom