Zipp 404's vs Reynolds DV46

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

_Jafski

Having bit of a dilemma, cannot decide which wheel set to go for. I have read about both of them but still cannot come to a final decision. I am kinda leaning towards the Reynolds but found a new pair of 404’s for less than the Reynolds…and lets be honest, Zipps are Zipps ;)
...anyhow any suggestions/input would be much appreciated :biggrin:

Ouch.....out of curiosity, what is the rest of your bike?

andyhunter

i wouldnt go for either.
Zipps dont look modern and i find them boring and as common as a supped up vaxuhall corsa and so not apealing as no aero spokes, there a heavy wheel, standard sliver spoke colour boring, spoke design is standard and not inventive like fulcrum/mavic/campagnolo, they do ceramic bearings in a more expensive model which is not worth the money, i wouldnt waste my time or money on them.
The reynolds are extremly light but dont have dimpled surface so thats a bummer to cut threw the air and to produce better output when the wheels kick in a certain speed to gain you extra meters over a certain distance, good value, dont use aero spokes and boring spoke design overall not inventive, dont have ceramic bearings, and for that reasons i wouldnt want a set.
I would go for lightweight wheels only issue i have with them i dont live near the factory and i dont have time postaging of wheels then waiting ages for a wheel to be fixed which if a problem occurs or to be serviced so thats why i wouldnt buy a set unless i could buy two pairs if i had the money.
Mavic carbon cosmics ultimate are good but bigger problem when you break a spoke then you cant use the wheels unless you send it to them and they will sell you the same pair of wheels for half price which is a stroke and not worth your time.
Im considering very strongly on campagnolo ultra bora two's because there identical being virutally the same only with campy on top with more tech to fulcrums racing speeds xlr(campy own the fulcrum brand) only difference is that campagnolo are putting in extra and new tech that will not be around for 3 years(patented) which is using oil instead of grease for cermaic bearing but i will have to get the campagnolo groupset aswell and ditch the shimano and also fulcrum because of vice versa compatiable with shimano and campy are not as responsive and strong and kicking the power in as there just a fraction off the pace.

Top Bottom