Zwift Training Plans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

areyouactuallymoving

I have a Zwift and want to improve my fitness. I started doing one of the training plans, but I often work away one or two days a week and am finding it difficult to do 4 sessions every week. When I go away I usually take my Brompton and so often even if I am just away during the day, if I've done a few miles on the Brommie I don't always then want to/have time to do another hour on the Zwift.

Are the structured programmes more likely to get me fitter and, therefore, worth trying to fit in, or is just going on when I can and doing any old ride going to be of any benefit?

I'm not particularly fit and I am just coming off of a broken foot and torn ankle ligaments, which have meant I have been off the bike altogether for a couple of months.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
It's hard to fit in the number of sessions of the plans, my current system is M,T, day off, T,F and weekend as a make up days if required. You can just mark them as done if you have completed a IRL ride. If that will be the case I'd make sure it's the foundation sessions that you mark. A lot of the plans seem to have a foundation ride followed by a build ride.

Do a couple of the beginner plans 101, FTP Builder or Fondo. Free riding is ok but gets boring quickly. It's hard to get motivated to push without a proper target. Racing/Group rides without any prep is discouraging, you may gain some fitness, but finishing last all the time by some margin kills the enthusiasm, DAMHIK.

Be realistic with your targets. You need to enjoy what you do, difficult at times when riding I know, but the gains will come.

CXRAndy

Guru
Are the structured programmes more likely to get me fitter and, therefore, worth trying to fit in

Yes, they will make you fitter.
However you say you're not very fit currently.
I would suggest a base training plan. These are longer rides but at lower intensity- zone 2 heart rate.
Do you have a HR monitor?

You say You've recently broken your ankle. Does cycling cause discomfort? If so I would be riding until discomfort tells me to stop and nothing more until your ankle can take the extra time riding.

Nebulous

Guru
I have never done structured training, bought a dumb turbo and didn't use it very often, then got a smart trainer with zwift.

I found the same difficulty with the training plans as you do, I often work away. They also seemed quite random, lots of different sessions with very little explanation about what was going on.

I find using some of the workouts, plus some I've developed myself, mixed in with doing some events, such as the tour de zwift better than the training programmes. I've currently moved all my training outside as I have some events coming up, and need to be road and weather ready.

Having said that zwift has been great for motivation. I've worked consistently from November until now, and should be hitting the outdoors in much better shape than I've ever done.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you are not particularly fit at the moment then any time spent on the turbo that gets your heart rate and breathing up will make you fitter. So for now I would just ride as and when you can rather than feel that you are failing on a plan you don't have time for. Once you are fitter and you feel your fitness is beginning to plateau then have a look at the training plans again. Consistency is key so if you can only manage a couple of turbo sessions a week then make sure you do them your best and don't try and cram in more sessions that demotivate you.

Have you done a FTP test so the intensities of the Zwift workouts is appropriate to your current level of fitness?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

areyouactuallymoving

Thanks for the advice. I'll try doing some of the workouts rather than a plan and see how I go.

To answer your questions (I can't work out how to quote on my phone)
I do have a HR monitor

The ankle is actually pretty much pain free on the bike, but painful when walking.

I did an FTP a few months ago, but should probably do another now I've been relatively inactive for a couple of months.

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks for the advice. I'll try doing some of the workouts rather than a plan and see how I go.

To answer your questions (I can't work out how to quote on my phone)
I do have a HR monitor

The ankle is actually pretty much pain free on the bike, but painful when walking.

I did an FTP a few months ago, but should probably do another now I've been relatively inactive for a couple of months.

Fellow shattered calcaneus recovery myself

Top Bottom