Gawd!! - we haven't half upset the Daily Mail havent we??....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Ãœber Member
What worries me is the amount of their readers who do lap it up and hate us even more than they already do. I am close to packing in cycling outdoors.

Don't give in to them, just think of all the good things about cycling.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I keep blocking media sources with headlines like "Celebrities then and now, #17 will shock you!'.

I've blocked so many, my news feed is increasingly filling in the gaps with foreign media sources.

My ex-s mother used to read the DM
Weird as she is an immigrant but there you go

Anyway - she used to keep the old papers in a neat pile by the telly until there were enough to bother throwing them in the cycyling
When we visitied I used to read some of them for something to do

They were very interesting - not the actual rabid content but the writing

very skillfully done

There would often be a 2 page spread on some inside pages saying things that were clearly way over the top

it would go on about it some the whole first column
and the second
and most of the first page - which had the headline and a medium sized picture
on the second page was a bigger picture and yet more words

clearly - most people would not read as far as the second page having had to read through the whole first page to get there

But I did - and once you got the the second page then you would find some proper facts and stuff started creaping in

and opinions that would moderate and justify the guts of the statements on the first page by stating the whole case and their whole opinion properly

To do this they had to write is very carefully and ensure that the writing on the first page was not SO extreme that the second page could not rein it in and justify it - but that it appeared to be more extreme than it was.

some of the articles were real masterpieces of saying one things and justifying it many many paragraphs further on - but doing so ina way that a lot of their target audience would get all riled up by page one
But if the targets of the hate tried to sue then the whole article could be shown to not be as extreme as it looked

Excellent use of language

Totally wrong in so many ways - but very interesting in how they did it!

Drago

Legendary Member
And the guardian / BBC don't do it on their pet hate stores!🤔🤔🤔

They're a bit more subtle, but in their own way can be as bad on certain topics. Their trick is to under report, or even don't report upon it all it they can get away with it, on anything that's inconvenient to their favoured narrative.

This is why I eschew the news media and get my current affairs updates from the Mums at the school gate. The downside is they hate cyclists as well! :laugh:

If you must, the foreign English speaking news media often give a more objective view on UK goings on than the domestic usual suspects.

EckyH

What would be the equivalent paper be in [...] Germany [...]?
Especially "Bild-Zeitung" or in short "Bild".
And less obvious other stuff from the publisher "Springer".

E.

Gwylan

Veteran
Especially "Bild-Zeitung" or in short "Bild".
And less obvious other stuff from the publisher "Springer".

E.

Picture news, not enough evidence on the news charge. Bild lives that down the Zeitung accusations quite easily and never knowingly under stooped.

Makes the National Enquirer seem quite intellectual, and Deadly Wail almost learned and informed.
Can be easier for foreigners with no hard words. But sometimes made colleagues mad by asking them to explain some of it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
But I did - and once you got the the second page then you would find some proper facts and stuff started creaping in
I clicked one of those "Snow Bomb to hit UK, Big Freeze on its Way!!!" links earlier in the year.

This was similar because it started off with the usual hyperbole, but mixed in actual quotes from the Met Office, to a rather weird effect ...

The WHOLE country could be SNOWBOUND. Britons are WARNED to STOCKPILE supplies. According to a Met Office Spokesman: "Some light flurries of snow are expected on high ground".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom