Rugby World Cup 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I understand that, but take players off because they are knackered, not because they would soon have been knackered. The penalty count against England rapidly increased when they went off.

But the Bomb Squad were either on, or just about to come on.
You have to expect a fresh Genge and Sincler to do a better job than a tired Marler and Cole.
I don’t think there is a front row in the world that could cope with that.
In the World Cup 4 years ago they started with Sincler and Vinipola. Cole and Marler were the subs. It’s quite clear that they right decision was made today but it’s impossible to live with the SA power.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Well that was a lot more interesting than expected. When England have their backs to the wall they can compete with the best. Cole and Marler were superb, as others have said the replacements could not cope with a fantastic SA pack.To be fair SA were weakened after some immense games as much as the pressure from England. Borthwick made the best of the hand he was given But we now need to look at the top four and work out how we reach that level of intensity consistently.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm surprised, I thought he'd been around much longer and would be knocking 40

Shows what I know.

He's one of those players who seems to have been around forever.

But the Bomb Squad were either on, or just about to come on.
You have to expect a fresh Genge and Sincler to do a better job than a tired Marler and Cole.
I don’t think there is a front row in the world that could cope with that.
In the World Cup 4 years ago they started with Sincler and Vinipola. Cole and Marler were the subs. It’s quite clear that they right decision was made today but it’s impossible to live with the SA power.

Just read that the bomb squad were 32kgs lighter than those they replaced.

Considering their level after Borthwick took over from the aussie coach. I think England have played what's in front of them as well as a side that is rebuilding after the period of the previous coach. Who in my ignorance I think had lost his way some time ago. I think they played well and got very close to winning. In the 3rd place play off I reckon England have it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm actually looking forward to the 6N for England now. I don't think they will necessarily be much good, but they will be much changed.

Cole & Marler, Lawes, Vunipola, Care & Youngs, Tuilangi, plus a smattering of others (May?) are all at or near the end of the road. A few are going off to France.

Farrell will probably hang around like a bad smell, blocking the 10 shirt, getting himself sent off and arguing with ref.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This should probably go in the other Rugby thread as it's not about the RWC, but anyway

A new proposed competition. I have no idea how it will work. If you're in a "division" with 11 other sides you have to play at least 11 matches, surely. And you only have 2 months to do it. Obviously I'm missing the point.

Anyway, to stay on topic, won't it kind of undermine RWC?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67206691
World Rugby has announced a new competition starting in 2026 as part of a "significant overhaul" of the men's international calendar.
The tournament will be made up of 24 teams, split into two divisions with 12 teams in each, with promotion and relegation starting from 2030.
The top division will include the 10 sides from the Six Nations and Rugby Championship, plus two unnamed others.
The World Cup will also be expanded to 24 teams from 2027.
The new competition - yet to be given an official name - will be played in July and November, replacing the current summer and autumn international windows.
It will take place in alternate years, excluding those which will include the World Cup and British and Irish Lions tours.

Alex321

Veteran
This should probably go in the other Rugby thread as it's not about the RWC, but anyway

A new proposed competition. I have no idea how it will work. If you're in a "division" with 11 other sides you have to play at least 11 matches, surely. And you only have 2 months to do it. Obviously I'm missing the point.
Apparently each team will play "at least 6 matches in the new tournament". How the hell they work out league position fairly when those matches are likely to vary considerably I the strength of opponents, is anybody's guess.

It is also supposed to give tier 2 nations more matches against tier 1 nations, but I really don't see how, with only two tier 2 nations in the initial top division (probably Fiji and Japan).

Top Bottom