Rugby World Cup 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Apparently each team will play "at least 6 matches in the new tournament". How the hell they work out league position fairly when those matches are likely to vary considerably I the strength of opponents, is anybody's guess.

It is also supposed to give tier 2 nations more matches against tier 1 nations, but I really don't see how, with only two tier 2 nations in the initial top division (probably Fiji and Japan).

It sounds absurd.

“Each country will play at least six matches in the new tournament, meaning England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland could for example face New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Argentina, Fiji and Japan, with three matches on tour in the summer and three at home in the autumn, with a Grand Final at the end of November to determine a winner.”

I’m presuming the results from the six nations and rugby championship will be worked into the league table so you only play the teams not in your usual home league.

It will also only be played ever other year. So Lions tour and world cup years are exempt.

Bring on the 'caterpillar ruck' ban 😴

I think that, at rucks, as soon as the ball is clearly available, the ref should just count "3...2...1...play" after which the opposing team can come round the ruck and go for the ball, even if it's still in a bloody silly caterpillar.
The team in possession will need to get the ball away from the ruck within the three seconds and play goes on. Unless the scrum half passes to Farrell, in which case he just kicks it away to the other team....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It sounds absurd.
It does indeed. To get any kind of ordering from so few matches in order to have a grand final you either need a knock-out system or some kind of mathematical ranking. So it sounds like the idiot bastard child or Rugby World Cup and the World Rugby Rankings.

Well, that's my initial reaction anyway. And I know nothing. If it produces plenty of exciting individual matches, regardless of the bigger structure, it could well be entertaining. But the year-round season that it implies doesn't bode well for player welfare. When are they going to rest - or will countries just use it as a development comp?

As to whether it's fair on the tier 2 nations and will foster development. I can't figure that out at the moment.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
It does indeed. To get any kind of ordering from so few matches in order to have a grand final you either need a knock-out system or some kind of mathematical ranking. So it sounds like the idiot bastard child or Rugby World Cup and the World Rugby Rankings.

Well, that's my initial reaction anyway. And I know nothing. If it produces plenty of exciting individual matches, regardless of the bigger structure, it could well be entertaining. But the year-round season that it implies doesn't bode well for player welfare. When are they going to rest - or will countries just use it as a development comp?

As to whether it's fair on the tier 2 nations and will foster development. I can't figure that out at the moment.

I think it will replace the informal summer and Autumn international slots we currently have, with each team playing three games in July (when European teams are usually currently touring) and three in November (when foreign teams are normally currently coming to Europe).

So I don't think it actually adds to the number of games, just gives them a more competitive structure.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Given that it's happening in non RWC and non-Lions years, perhaps a revamp of the Lions concept would be in order, making it a NH v SH combination affair, ensuring that France and the two SH giants not touring are not left kicking their heels.

What's that sound? Is it of pink gins being spluttered and monocles falling from eyesockets?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think it will replace the informal summer and Autumn international slots we currently have, with each team playing three games in July (when European teams are usually currently touring) and three in November (when foreign teams are normally currently coming to Europe).

So I don't think it actually adds to the number of games, just gives them a more competitive structure.

Indeed, its stops a summer tour being 3 games against same oppo and ensures FiJi and Japan get some meaningful games against top tier oppo, albeit at the expense of the likes of Samoa who often get an autumn international or two against 6N oppo.

At times some home nations have played 4 games in Autumn slot (although Eng prem based players generally not released for one of them) so it will prob end up with marginally less games.

On balance marginally a positive, but I'd rather see the 2nd tier get access to 6N or SH championship in a meaningful way.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
But as I said, it isn't actually going to make any difference tio the number of matches played as far as I can see.

I'm not so sure, but we'll see. Other than money I just don't see the point. Seems like a tweaked world cup to me.

I can't see the clubs or players being too happy with this given the punishment their bodies take in competitive rugby. It still makes it as difficult, if not more so, for the likes of Portugal, Uruguay, Chile, Samoa and Romania or the US to get more regular games with top teams. I know promotion and relegation has been mentioned but not enough detail yet for me to give it a thumbs up.

Beaumont is the archetypal, establishment old fart and I cannot see him doing anything to risk any of the top teams facing possible downgrading, even if only for a year.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I bumped into Mickey Skinner in a pub once. Literally. Fortunately no drinks were spilled. It was a few years after he retired and he was a bit porky.

Was he wearing a ridiculous striped blazer?
I saw him in Blackheath a few times. He was always wearing them. And was a bit lardy.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Was he wearing a ridiculous striped blazer?
I saw him in Blackheath a few times. He was always wearing them. And was a bit lardy.

It was indeed in Blackeath. Can't remember what he was wearing. Would have been late 90s or so, when I was a bit large myself and the bar was quite narrow.

Top Bottom