10 miles on the road is how much on a turbo trainer...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Hi all,

Due to work commitments and the fact that I don't like riding in the dark, it is getting to the point where I am going to have to start using my turbo trainer in the evenings to get the miles in. At least I will be able to listen to my mp3 player in safety...

I intend to do 20 miles each weekday, and double that at the weekends...

I am assuming riding 180 miles a week on a trainer is easier than 180 miles on the road. Is it cheating to record this as mileage on cyclogs ?

Does 100 miles on a trainer count as a 100 mile ride ?

Cheers,
Daniel.

mr Mag00

rising member
simple answer no

i tend to use my Turbo a couple of times a week for Cv sessions any more that that and it gets really boring. I use some spinerval DVD too. or I will just sit and turn over for an hour at a low HR just to get some exercise. you will get loads of answers I am sure, a hot topic on here ;)

gavintc

Guru
It is harder, you cannot free wheel on a turbo. Personally, an hour is the limit of my boredom threshold and at the 1/2 hour you groan that you are only half way through the session. Of course, it will depend on just how seriously you are taking the session and whether you are riding to a specific heart rate or other measureable output.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
gavintc said:
It is harder, you cannot free wheel on a turbo. Personally, an hour is the limit of my boredom threshold and at the 1/2 hour you groan that you are only half way through the session. Of course, it will depend on just how seriously you are taking the session and whether you are riding to a specific heart rate or other measureable output.
You can set the resistance on the turbo very low in which case it would be very easy. On the other hand, you could set it very high and it would be very hard.

You can freewheel on most turbos, though you can't on a fixed wheel gym bike - I tried once and the kickback from its 20 kg flywheel almost broke my ankles! :biggrin:

I did a whole winter's worth of riding on my gym bike one year and it got me fitter than I'd ever been before (or since). I alternated between spinning against a low resistance and sprinting flat out against a high resistance. It was gut-wrenchingly hard and I came close to vomiting several times. I'd lose upto 2 kgs in an hour i.e. 2 litres of sweat!

I always listen to loud music when on the gym bike. It's the only thing that motivates me to overcome the boredom of indoor pedalling.

Make sure you have a big fan blowing over you and drape a towel over your bike otherwise your sweat will rot the bike very quickly. If you aren't dripping sweat, I don't think you are trying hard enough! :biggrin:

OP
OP
amnesia

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
ColinJ said:
I always listen to loud music when on the gym bike. It's the only thing that motivates me to overcome the boredom of indoor pedalling.

Word ! Selection of suitable albums already copied to mp3 player :biggrin:

ColinJ said:
Make sure you have a big fan blowing over you and drape a towel over your bike otherwise your sweat will rot the bike very quickly. If you aren't dripping sweat, I don't think you are trying hard enough! :biggrin:

I believe I have seen neoprene triangles that you attach betwixt bars and seatpost to help with this.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Top Bottom