2 things needed free/ridiculously cheap for a bike tour this summer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amrbadawy

Regular
So, this is incredibly unlikely and i'm aware about how ridiculous this is before anyone tells me! So i'm cycling to Belgium this summer to raise for Syria, and most of my money is going on hotels and various things SO, here are some things I kind of need but can't afford at the minute, i know they're expensive but sometimes people just have old stuff they don't need, ALSO if you have something that isn't 100% working, i'm quite technically minded so will give it a shot fixing!

1) Turbo trainer/ rollers (don't mind if they're crap)
2) Bike computer with maps (i have a phone for navigation, but charging tends to be an issue)

Thank you so much.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you need a turbo for a tour? Get out and ride your bike regardless of the weather, much better training for cycling

Ref the phone, buy a couple of back up battery packs

OP
OP
A

amrbadawy

Regular
Why do you need a turbo for a tour? Get out and ride your bike regardless of the weather, much better training for cycling

Ref the phone, buy a couple of back up battery packs
Yep, training as much as possible on the daily, but because of work i can't get enough hours in on the saddle (would really like to get 5 hours in a day, 5 days a week) and i don't want to be riding at night!!!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Or get a map and navigate off that. Problem even more solved.
GPS chews through batteries like there's no tomorrow.

i don't want to be riding at night!!!
Um, why not? If you don't feel comfortable in familiar territory after dark, are you sure you are ready to cycle in an unfamiliar place?

+1 to the idea of an external battery. One like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VJSGT2A?psc=1 would charge phone batteries between 5 and 10 times. Or get two smaller ones (and two cables) so you have a failover device.

A bit more info would be nice; How far, over how long, on your own or part of a group, exactly which charity, will you be meeting all the costs yourself?, bit about yourself and your cycling experience to date. Depending on the answers you might get more offers of help, gear or sponsorship.

vickster

Legendary Member
Um, why not? If you don't feel comfortable in familiar territory after dark, are you sure you are ready to cycle in an unfamiliar place?

+1 to the idea of an external battery. One like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VJSGT2A?psc=1 would charge phone batteries between 5 and 10 times. Or get two smaller ones (and two cables) so you have a failover device.
especially on a tour that needs 25 hours of training per week, presumably going to be pushing big miles everyday

Just dont bother and send the money you would spend on hotels etc and some of your savings to the charity of your choice instead. Its much better in my opinion giving your own money to charity than asking other people for it.
This is a mean spirited post, but I do tend to agree. I am continual baffled by these things: I'm shaving my head for spinal bifida; I'm cycling to Brighton to raise awareness of whale hunting. They always seem to me to be someone doing something they want to do, but wrapping it in a "charity" so you get praised as a do-gooder.

I just did a whole lot of calculations to work out how much you would be spending on this trip, but then I revisited to the original post. Brussels is only 200km from the various ports. Where are you starting from? How many days are you planning to take? I don't get 5 hours 5 days a week training to do a couple of hundred km either side of a ferry trip.

Top Bottom