20 is plenty demo Worthing Tomorrow night 6.30 heene road community hall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IncoherentJeff

Ah - another one who seems to think that 'facilities' is the answer - get those pesky cyclists out of the way of motorists.

I'm not trying to get those "pesky cyclists" off the road as you put it. I am a very keen cyclist and a motorist by necessity (18-20k miles a year).

Towns with 30mph limits are safe for cycling in my book, coming from a town with no cycle lanes or cycle zones on traffic lights etc.

City centres less so, down to multi lane highways to handle the sheer amount of traffic with poorly designed junctions. A badly designed junction has less of an impact if its only 1-2lanes wide hence which I think towns are safer.

Also whoever decided to put cyclists arguably the smallest road user in bus lanes one of the largest which frequently stop and pull out without indication is a muppet.
I'd rather & do take my chances with the normal traffic.

However the risks could be significantly reduced if cyclists needs were considered during new road layout designs rather than as an after thought or not at all.

What stops most people getting their bike out the shed and commuting by bicycle is they don't feel safe. Having their own cycle infrastructure would change that, resulting in more bicycles on the road.

More bicycles on the roads means drivers are much more bicycle friendly as seeing a bicycle becomes the norm. I've experienced this having moved from Derbyshire Dales where cyclists are severely in the minority (during commuting hours) to West Oxfordshire. Here other road users give me way more space and generally less abusive.

This unfortunately seems the opposite for motorcyclists where drivers are much more use to motorbikes in Derbyshire, down here it seems to be the last thing on the mind!

Last edited:

StuartG

slower but further
The thing is, it was implemented over three years ago! What has happened it exactly what everyone said would happen - nothing.
I wish I shared your optimism...
But the stats say that 20mph enforced passively or policed is about the safest thing you can do for cyclists and pedestrians (especially kids).
You've got the limit, now the next step ... what are you doing to get your local councillors to take some enforcement action? And what action do you want them to take?

U

User482

But the stats say that 20mph enforced passively or policed is about the safest thing you can do for cyclists and pedestrians (especially kids).
You've got the limit, now the next step ... what are you doing to get your local councillors to take some enforcement action? And what action do you want them to take?

I've complained to no avail, and more usefully, I (uniquely) drive at 20mph in the area. The police have made it quite clear that they are not going to enforce the limit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-23711861

Not a single fine in three years!

StuartG

slower but further
I've complained to no avail, and more usefully, I (uniquely) drive at 20mph in the area. The police have made it quite clear that they are not going to enforce the limit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-23711861

Not a single fine in three years!
Aren't police forces under new (elected) government? Time to attack!
Isn't the biggest beneficiary school kids? Aren't young deaths/serious injuries most newsworthy?

I'm not in your area but a campaign based on 'stop killing our kids' with, if you have been unfortunate, some local examples (with tearful mothers) and based in schools (onside headteachers are a formidable and usually articulate breed) pushing the parents to sign and badger and make things generally uncomforable for the decision makers. Remember they like a quiet life!

Keep the campaign narrow. Humps outside schools only at this stage - destabilises petrolhead arguements and gets maximum support. Get those in. Then, as TMN suggests, move on to the next increment ...

king dick

The issue with that admirable suggestion is cost. 'Hard' measures cost megabucks. Some signs, paint on the road, and an education programme for drivers/residents/citizens which results in largely self-enforced 20's plenty zones are much, much cheaper and therefore overcome the Highway Authority's biggest gripe "We don't go no money" (Which isn't actually true but the good burghers of West Sussex buy it every time).

But before we hang the seaside bunting out, all that has been agreed is that there is to be a public consultation in Worthing. Winning over the hearts and minds of the population may not be straightforward.

king dick

Im all for a 20 mph limit in built up areas I would also limit all vehicles to a maximum of 70 mph on uk roads if I had my way.

Top Bottom