Why shouldn't cyclists pay road tax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
In the UK, there is no road tax. There used to be a tax called "vehicle excise duty," which was based on the carbon dioxide emissions of a vehicle. However, this tax was abolished in 1937, and the revenue raised from it now goes into the general Treasury funds, rather than being earmarked specifically for road maintenance.

Cyclists do not contribute to vehicle excise duty or any other tax that is specifically earmarked for road maintenance, but neither do pedestrians or drivers of vehicles that are exempt from the tax, such as electric cars. The cost of maintaining roads is paid for out of general taxation, which everyone contributes to, regardless of whether they drive, cycle, or walk.

Moreover, cycling has many benefits, such as reducing traffic congestion, reducing air pollution, improving public health, and reducing the need for expensive road infrastructure. Encouraging cycling can also help reduce the strain on public healthcare systems by promoting healthy and active lifestyles. Therefore, there is a strong argument to be made that cyclists should be encouraged rather than penalized for their mode of transport.

Guess who.

Alex321

Veteran
No idea who. But the second sentence is completely wrong.

It was the road tax which was abolished in 1937, and which had nothing to do with emissions. Vehicle Excise duty didn't initially either, though it has for quite a few years now.

classic33

Leg End Member
What emissions are cycles putting out in use?

VED is an emission based duty. If they claim that cyclists do produce emissions, are they saying car drivers don't produce any.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Even as a former petrol head, i can see the benefits of cycling in pretty much all cases. But that's not the issue. The hating of cycling or cyclists is pretty much irrational in all instances and is used to sell papers and clicks rather than engage tangible political debate...

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The hating of cyclists exists primarily because too many car drivers are inpatient, entitled and not willing to share the roads with more vulnerable road users who they actually have to pay a bit more attention to.

Buses slow me down in my car a lot more than cyclists do. Buses are responsible for more oil and diesel being dripped into the road. So in theory people should be more hateful of buses then they should be of cyclists.

To the best of my knowledge their is no tax specifically earmarked for road maintenance and the cost of repairs/new roads comes out of general taxation to which I have been contributing since I left school 47 years ago, I have also had firstly motorcycles and then a car since 17 years old and currently there are two car on the drive both taxed and both insured so I resent the implication that because I ride a trike/bicycle I somehow do not or have not contributed :cursing:

Drago

Legendary Member
Although the legal mechanism now exists for standard car tax to be used specifically as a road fund, none of it directly is spent as such. The roads are all still funded through general taxation.

Considering the lack of danger they cause, the lack of pollution, and our decades long contribution to reducing congestion and CO2 output, the government should actually be paying us cyclist to use the roads. You're preaching to the choir here.

It's reckoned by government that 1.8% of motor vehicles (excluding motorcycles from that figure for some reason) are in use without the requisite road tax. An easy easy win there if they want to either reduce congestion or raise shekels.

a.twiddler

Veteran
What brought this thread on? Usually this subject arises in response to some nitwit article in the Daily Wail, or someone in government trying to divert attention from their latest failings. It's been pretty widely accepted that it would be unworkable from the sheer administrative cost and complexity versus any financial benefit to the Government. The same with "why don't they pay insurance and have number plates and a licence?". Motor vehicles are hardly invisible but we can see how successful the schemes are to get everyone paying their dues for those are, can't we. Although there are a lot of good points above, it's already been done to death.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Unless things have changed, I believe the VED charge now includes electric cars etc. It changed I believe at the last budget.

Nope! Got it wrong. But it does come into effect from 2025.

david.rolls

Regular
In many countries, including the UK, cyclists do not pay road tax. This is because road tax is actually a tax on vehicles, not on individuals who use the road. Cyclists do not contribute to road wear and tear in the same way that cars and other motor vehicles do, so it would not be fair to ask them to pay road tax.

Additionally, many cyclists also own cars or pay for public transportation, which already contributes to the upkeep of the roads. Cyclists also provide many benefits to society, including reducing traffic congestion, improving air quality, and promoting a healthier lifestyle.

Furthermore, cycling is an environmentally-friendly and sustainable mode of transportation, and governments should be encouraging more people to cycle as part of efforts to combat climate change and reduce pollution. Imposing a road tax on cyclists would discourage people from choosing this mode of transportation, which would be counterproductive to these efforts.

I pay car and motorcycle tax :B)

Gwylan

Veteran
Maybe a heading change might help?
"Why cyclists shouldn't pay road tax"

Thinks it's moved on to Vehicle Excise Duty, but we know what it means.

Gwylan

Veteran
Bikes, road use charges etc.

When a bike is purchased the price includes a charge of 100% of the purchase price.
That insures, third party, the bicycle for life and whoever is using it for any accidents and incidents.
All anyone involved in an incident has to do is prove that the bike was purchased, bike duty paid.
Yes, I know, totally unworkable.
But I'm going for a ride and will come back later and see what has developed.

Top Bottom