42 points and still driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
This exceptional hardship malarkey is a joke. If you don't want to lose your licence and thus experience hardship then don't drive like a tool.

classic33

Leg End Member
Private hire/taxi driver by any chance?

Close on 20 with more than 20 points on their licence locally, and they're still allowed to drive for profit.

Library computer so they've blocked the BBC site. Not read the article.
A man with 42 points on his licence has been allowed to continue driving.

Alex McFarlane, 50, of Wood Green, Basildon, Essex, admitted seven offences, including one related to driving at 109mph in a 50mph area, Essex Police said.

A court heard he had had a nervous breakdown resulting in debts which he could not repay if unable to drive.

The law states drivers with more than 12 points on a licence within a three-year period can face disqualification.

Construction manager McFarlane initially denied seven counts of failing to give information in relation to driving offences when questioned by police.

He later changed his plea to guilty, and he was given six points for each of the counts.

'Exceptional hardship'
His six speeding offences also included driving at 32mph in a 20mph zone, Essex Police said. The seventh offence involved going through a red light.

The offences took place between June and August 2014.

Southend magistrates agreed not to ban McFarlane from driving after he claimed mitigating circumstances including "exceptional hardship" due to loss of income.

Magistrates heard he had had a nervous breakdown since the incidents, during which time he had built up considerable debts.

He told the court he would lose both his home and his job, and be unable to pay his debts if he lost his licence.

McFarlane was given 42 points on his licence and fined £150 for each offence.

He was warned if caught speeding again he would automatically be disqualified from driving, Essex Police said.

classic33

Leg End Member
Locally 9 points on your licence will get your private hire/taxi licence suspended. But too many say it will bring hardship on them and their families, not to be able to drive.

This includes two that have been involved in hit and run incidents.

Ask yourself this... It's in the Daily Wail. What's the likelihood it contains:
  1. The full facts; or
  2. The truth?
She said: 'An unmarked blue car started flashing at me, drove in front, then slammed its brakes on. It caused so much confusion with all the other cars, nobody knew what was going on.
So, if she was stationary in traffic, how was there room in front of her for a police car. I assume it was stop/start traffic, and she was driving with her knees.

Ask yourself this... It's in the Daily Wail. What's the likelihood it contains:
  1. The full facts; or
  2. The truth?
'An unmarked blue car started flashing at me, drove in front, then slammed its brakes on.

..and she says she was stationary in traffic. Doesn't add up. I reckon she is lying through her teeth and well deserved the fine.

EDIT: Oops, others beaten me to it.

Top Bottom