42 points and still driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Both bands off the wheel on a vehicle in motion while she peels banana? A clear cut not in control, a worthy recipient of an FPN.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Putting bananawoman to one side and getting back to the OP, "The offences took place between June and August 2014." So, this guy committed seven speeding offences over a three month period, including going over the ton on a 50MPH limit road, and that's not enough to get banned? Jesus H. What does it take to convince magistrates that a person just isn't fit to be in charge of a fast, heavy machine that's perfectly designed to kill people if not used sensibly?

Not illegal though. 'Not in proper control', the offence under Section 41D of the Road Traffic Act 1988, applies only to motor vehicles. Difficult to prove careless or reckless cycling in those circumstances.

So this isn't a case of being fair to all road users, and something that's "dangerous", just about "being against the rules"?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You can use your brakes while leaning too?
My current usual bike has a backpedal brake, so yes I can :tongue: but anyway, we don't expect motorists to drive along with a foot lightly resting on the brake pedal, so why should we expect people to cycle with a hand on a brake lever?

In what way is taking both hands off the bars dangerous, assuming it is not a Brompton?

In what way is taking both hands off a steering wheel dangerous? So long as the car is in good condition, it will stay straight long enough to peel a banana, apart from in the car, you can also still use the brakes.

I'm not condoning driving while eating a bowl of cereal or whatever. I'm just intrigued why it is such a terrible thing for a car driver, but a cyclist is totally fine?

Dan B

Disengaged member
I meant to say "by", oops. Really should proof read posts.
Oh well. On a fixie, yes. Otherwise, not so much

The only cycle I ride with a coaster brake is a Christiania trike, which tends to wander across the road without at least one hand on the bars

Top Bottom