61 year old, Shropshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Also here: http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2014/06/23/10-miles-of-a49-closed-after-serious-accident/

My deepest condolences to his family and I hope the the swine who did it is caught and properly punished.

The rider is from my home village so it's quite possible it's someone I've met.:sad:

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm impressed that the police have identified a suspect so quickly. Here is the local take on it (not much extra to be honest)

Edit: Having found out the exact location of the crash, I will be curious what the excuse is. It's a straight and reasonably wide section of road - the driver would have had ample time to see the cyclist even if he 'd managed to make the preceeding bend without slowing.

Last edited:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I'm impressed that the police have identified a suspect so quickly. Here is the local take on it (not much extra to be honest)

Edit: Having found out the exact location of the crash, I will be curious what the excuse is. It's a straight and reasonably wide section of road - the driver would have had ample time to see the cyclist even if he 'd managed to make the preceeding bend without slowing.
Not necessarily so at 4:00 in the morning
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-28023586

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Official sunrise 4.44 on the day in question, but at this time of year it would have been reasonably light up to an hour before that. The rising sun would have been to the right and slightly to the rear of the parties involved so no "sun was in my eyes" defence would be plausible.

At the moment there is nothing in any of the reports to suggest that the cyclist didn't have appropriate lights or reflectors for the time of day.

I'll admit I'm not feeling very generous towards the driver. Cycling fatalities are fortunately not a common thing in my bit of the country yet all four of the most recent ones (that I'm aware of) have been hit and run, one of which involved a second hit and run on the person who stopped to help the cyclist :huh:. Not impressed!

Last edited:

Origamist

Legendary Member
Dorrington cyclist fatal hit-and-run: Suspended sentence for lorry driver

Michael Saunders was found dead by a tractor driver on the A49 between Dorrington and Leebotwood. Michael Saunders, 61, was found dead at the side of the A49 near Dorrington, in June last year. Mark Baker, 40, of Clarence Street, Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taf, pleaded guilty to causing the death by careless driving at an earlier hearing. Shrewsbury Crown Court sentenced him to 26 weeks imprisonment, suspended for 12 months. Baker initially tried to claim the damage to his lorry occurred at a vehicle yard, but changed plea to guilty due to "overwhelming evidence against him", the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said.

'High visibility clothing'

The CPS said Mr Saunders was cycling home from his work in Church Stretton at 05:00 BST when he was struck by a HGV driven by Baker. He failed to stop and continued with his journey to Chirk near Wrexham. His lorry was indentified by a headlight washer blanking plate found at the roadside, the CPS said. Spokesman Robin Allen said: "A prudent and careful driver would have seen Michael Saunders, who was using flashing lights [and] wearing high visibility bright yellow clothing. "More importantly, having seen the cyclist, they would have avoided colliding with him."

Baker was also ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work, disqualified from driving for two years and told to take extended re-test.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-33188074

Top Bottom