Driver admits killing 16 year old cyclist, while speeding at 80 in a 30 limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Other than the reference to the "Heartbreaking" impact statement there is no further reference to how the family feel about the 5 years. I think its the comment that he came out of nowhere that gets me. Its Obviously an attempt at victim blaming that I find reprehensible and 5 years doesn't cut it for me. As I said previously, nothing is going to change what happened but it was only a matter of time for this guy.

There was a similar incident in Paisley just before Christmas involving a pedestrian, it was horrible to see what damage a human body can do to a 2 ton vehicle travelling at 80mph. Disgusting

All uphill

Still rolling along
The driver was totally wrong, I agree, and deserves all of the punishment he gets.

I'm so sad that we still see messages on TV glorifying fast driving, and car ads promoting the idea that ownership of a car gives you freedom with no mention of it also bringing responsibility.

Until we tackle this perception tax payers will need to keep funding people being locked up.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Completely wrong sentence he should get as much of a life sentence as someone who takes a kitchen knife (ideal for chopping onions) and plunging it into a person...

Since a car is ideal for traveling at 30mph in residential areas but is lethal when used inappropriately at 80mph.

Shocking.

Alex321

Veteran
Completely wrong sentence he should get as much of a life sentence as someone who takes a kitchen knife (ideal for chopping onions) and plunging it into a person...

Since a car is ideal for traveling at 30mph in residential areas but is lethal when used inappropriately at 80mph.

Shocking.

The sentences for causing somebody's death through negligence or recklessness have always been lower than the sentences for deliberate murder, and rightly so IMO.

The sentence here is pretty well in line with average sentences for manslaughter.

Jameshow

Veteran
The sentences for causing somebody's death through negligence or recklessness have always been lower than the sentences for deliberate murder, and rightly so IMO.

The sentence here is pretty well in line with average sentences for manslaughter.

I agree with the sentences for negligence being lower.

However 80 in a 30 isn't negligence its intentionally putting yourself in the hands of a killing machine ...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Since a car is ideal for traveling at 30mph in residential areas

It’s really not, 20 mph as a maximum would be far better.

03429AE3-656F-449F-9CAD-4BF93F57F8EB.jpeg

icowden

Veteran
Full Judgement is here:-

https://www.judiciary.scot/home/sen...-and-opinions/2022/08/16/hma-v-sam-ula-jabbar

The previous was driving without a license, insurance or MOT in 2010 and careless driving in 2013. He was also on bail for something else at the time of this crash. Interestingly Scotland does not have sentencing guidelines, so Judges refer to other incidents in order to determine a sentence. In this case the Judge has set the sentence at 7 years 6 months, but because of the guilty plea has to reduce to 5 years. Scotland has been consulting on having a written guideline for causing death by driving.

The new guideline would be a starting point of 7 to 12 years custody with disqualification for a minimum of 5 years, although it is still possible to issue a life sentence. It's possible that under the new guidelines, this chap would be serving a few more years.

Top Bottom