Driver admits killing 16 year old cyclist, while speeding at 80 in a 30 limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Wow, terrible.

Judge Lord Mulholland told Jabbar: "You have taken a young man's life.

"Loved by his family, you have delivered to them a life sentence, a life sentence of loss and grief."

I can only hope after the above comment, he will indeed hand down a very long sentence.

Although even that is never going to be enough.

Really sad.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Admitting his guilt at the first opportunity means he'll get a 25% discount on the sentence. The maximum sentence for dangerous driving is 14 years and, given the driver was on bail and had a previous offence, I would hope they get close to this. It's likely to be 7-8 years, not nearly enough.

Even if he gets 10 years. He would only serve 5. That is a deterrent not to do it again. But its not justice for the family.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Even if he gets 10 years. He would only serve 5. That is a deterrent not to do it again. But its not justice for the family.

Not in Scotland!
My understanding is that on sentences of 4 years or more, you serve the lot in prison, apart from the final 6 months. Unless the parole board decides otherwise. Link.

50% reduction still applies on sentences of less than 4 years, when the remainder of the sentence is served on licence. Meaning the person can be recalled to prison if they step out of line. In theory, of course...

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Though, given that he had a history of driving offences, it's entirely possible that he will continue to do so after his release on licence, in which case he'll be rapidly back inside to serve the balance of his sentence.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Though, given that he had a history of driving offences, it's entirely possible that he will continue to do so after his release on licence, in which case he'll be rapidly back inside to serve the balance of his sentence.

Jabbar had previous convictions, including for careless driving, and was on bail at the time of the crash.

I think my inference from that quote is rather that he's a criminal in a wider sense, with at least one driving offence.

tyred

Legendary Member
This a*se needs not just the book thrown at him, but the British Library’s amount of books, certain places have this “car culture” of flash expensive cars, then driving them like daffodils, there needs to be a huge clampdown on them, with cars crushed & huge sentences handed out

Sadly it is far too prevalent around here. A few people I know including an uncle who is more than old enough to know better consider 100MPH+ perfectly acceptable and laugh at me and tell me I'm boring and don't know how to enjoy myself. I can't be bothered listening to them any more.

DRM

Guru

You’re correct in that, but it’s the chances of him being caught, people know that other than a speed camera, the chances of being seen by a police officer is slim to nil, they know where the speed cameras are, and also where the mobile speed camera vans frequent, so they can speed, tailgate & drive appallingly with carte blanche & scant regard for anyone else, I think the time is right for speed camera vans to be unmarked, and for the Police to run a lot of unmarked high performance patrol cars and get rid of this plague of idiots once & for all

Top Bottom