8 yr old cycles 8 miles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well done, lad! Him, not you! Or, well done to you, too! :tongue:

It'll start to get expensive now! :wacko:

Gary D

Well done to Crock Junior :angry: :biggrin:

Given the right encouragement, kids are capable of a lot!

You will be amazed at how quickly that distance increases.

I have 2 girls, aged 6 and 8, and they recently did a lap of Rutland Water which is about 17 miles and quite hilly. They only had to walk up 1 hill :smile:

However, they usually ask for a Mc Donalds as a reward rather than sweets though :sad:

One thing, if you are considering buying CJ a new lighter bike then look at the ones from Islabikes. They are specifically designed for kids and are quite light. Bit more expensive then the average Halfords scaffold tube assembly but much better value for money. They have quite a good second hand value as well.

Gary.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Gary D said:
Well done to Crock Junior :angry: :biggrin:

Given the right encouragement, kids are capable of a lot!

You will be amazed at how quickly that distance increases.

Seconded, especially when they are with friends they can managed quite long distances.

Well done - did he feel pleased with himself?

longers

Legendary Member
Well done Mini CoG :angry:. Does he want to go out again?

Gary D

User1314 said:
He wants to join a "cyclng club" he told me, so that he can enter the Olympics. I told him he needs to prove himself first by cycling round Richmond Park a few times before I make the extra effort.

It's a win - win situation; because if he does not win a Gold Medal he will still be a fit young bloke.

As for everyone.

Go on to the British Cycling website and find the nearest club that participate in the "Go Ride" scheme. This specifically caters for the younger riders.

My 2 belong to a club that does and they do a "training session" on a Wednesday evening. They normally do bike handling skills and low key competitions etc. Last week they even did a roller riding competition where 2 riders race against the clock side by side. The whole ethos is to give them more confidence on their bikes - and it definitely works.

Gary.

Mr Phoebus

Well done to little Croc.

We went on a 19 mile group ride to Henley In Arden with these two
little geezers.
cs260807-1.jpg

One was 6 years old and his brother was 8 years old. IIRC.
The ride is undulating and they did it easily. The funny thing was though...
when the woman turned up with them (her kids) and a few of the the oldies saw them
I overheard the one quietly mutter "They're a bit young, I think they will struggle."
It was that person who had the initial doubts that ended up pushing their bike up the the one hill and struggling with some of the others. Karma! :angry:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My seven year old manages rides in the 10-15 miles range but can stuggle with hills especially towards the end of a ride. That's when lots of encouragement and some food comes in handy. He hasn't mentioned the Olympics yet though he watched it very intently. So save me a place just in case.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Our 9 y.o. rides his Islabike back and forth while we do our favourite 4 mile Sunday stroll. I reckon he probably covers 6 miles during that time!

Last time though we reached the children's playground at the end to find him clutching sore elbows and fighting back tears - he had tried to jump a BMX ramp and crashed heavily!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
User1314 said:
What a positive thread this is!

I've just emailed my local British Cycling Go Ride accredited Club for details.

Hope you have more sucess than when I tried contacting them by email.. no reply ... keep meaning to try the phone number.

Top Bottom